Quite a scare this morning!

ibpboo

Where Chickens Ride Horses
15 Years
Jul 9, 2007
always changing
So I went to feed and all there was in Tree Chick's nest box was a ton of feathers. One of the feed cans was knocked over. The 3 month RIR's were still in their box, and Cotton, the silkie was outside making a fuss. On no, I did not shut the barn door last night, one of the babies was staying out late and I thought, oh, I will come back out in a few minutes. So this morning I was sick, I hadn't remembered to close the door last night. I came back in the house and gave my DH the news. Something ate Tree Chick. I went back out there to see if hopefully she had found a place to squeeze into and hide. There were no feathers outside of the barn anywhere. When I went back into the barn, THERE WAS TREE CHICK! She was getting a drink. I gave her some food, which she gobbled up and then went back to her nest! She's missing tail feathers and such, but she is OK!!
She only has a rock in her nest because I have no rooster so the eggs will never hatch, so she just sits on the rock.

is she moulting? I dont know about the feeder. did something get her tailfeathers in a ruffle and she knocked feeder over?
hu.gif

glad she is ok, I just had a few rough minutes I locked myself in the coop run area pull string for latch got caught up, had to reach a hoe over the fence and hit latch up.. I knew it would happen someday but I didnt like being cooped up like a chicken;)

Quote:
Something had attacked and she was able to escape, lots of tight spaces in barn, she must of gotten to one!! This is way too many feathers to be a molt, the feathers were not there yesterday. I know foxes come into my yard as well as possums. And skunks also live in the area.
Thats funny, locking yourself in coop, I have done that before myself, not fun at all!!
smile.png

glad she escaped Im so new to chickens Ive only heard of moulting so I dont know how many feathers they loose at once, I guess if I got up and had a naked bird Id
idunno.gif
say must be that moulting thing I read about on BYC.

Back
Top Bottom