Quite surprised but I think my hen is a rooster, could someone help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cukuriku, Aug 30, 2016.

1. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    I have two chickens that are about 2 and a half months old now and I started hearing crowing from the every morning, but this morning I took a look and noticed that indeed BOTH are crowing, I didn't think both were roosters. Please let me know if anyone could suggest something. It could also be, as I've read elsewhere, that at times a dominating hen will crow as well, but it sounds that she crows better than the rooster! I won't tell him I said that...lol

[​IMG]

This white one is the one I'm basically sure is a rooster, not the one I'm doubting about.

[​IMG]

This brown one on the other hand was a hen, I thought...maybe I'm wrong? It crows nicely...here's another one-

[​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    The lighter one is a male. The other one ??? I'm not sure, Polish are kinda tough sometimes. Its feathering looks like a female.

3. cukuriku

Jul 18, 2016
    I could tell these polish are tough. The white one I knew already is male, it's too obvious for several reasons. But the brown one-looks so much like a pullet, but she crows, and boy does she crow! even in the afternoon!

4. cukuriku

Jul 18, 2016
    I'll add also, I posted this question in a different thread as well and someone claimed it was cockerel

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That much wattle at 2 months, I'm going with cockerel.

6. PatiHF

PatiHF Just Hatched

Aug 30, 2016
    Tres Pinos, California
    I notice too, that roosters get longer tail feathers that will start curving downward. Hens are shorter and more upright.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

8. cukuriku

Jul 18, 2016
    Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by