Quite the egg song

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ifowldown, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Ifowldown

Ifowldown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Had the day off yesterday, so I decided to see what the chickens do while I am normally at work. They sang me quite the song as they were getting ready to lay. I had to laugh at the one amberlink with the high pitched voice.
    They were probably telling me to get the heck out and give them some privacy.

[​IMG]

About 3 or 4 minutes after their song ended, I was able to witness this for the first time. You can hear it hitting the ceramic dummy egg.

I wasn't able to eat any eggs for a few hours after seeing this, but then I smelled the kids cooking some, and I forgot all about it.

(warning: graphic)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    ouch!!

[​IMG]

3. Ifowldown

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:That's what I thought.

It kind of surprised me how fast it laid the egg. It was just standing there clucking one minute while I was petting one of the other hens, and I glanced over and could see the egg. I turned the camera on just in time. Usually all the other hens will lay in the box for about a half hour, and then just stand up and leave, and there will be an egg laying there.

4. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Wow! Your title should be a warning to turn down the volume on your computer! That startled the heck out of me:)

5. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That has to be the funniest videos I have ever seen! If you had told me 4 months ago I would be laughing at chickens singing the egg song, and a chicken laying an egg, I would have thought you were nuts!

edited to add: I love the expression on the hen that had just laid the egg. "What are you looking at, buster?"

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  6. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks for sharing..especially with us newbies. Can't wait to hear the "eggsong" live [​IMG]

7. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Wow! Would that it were that easy for us humans! Sing a song, have a baby, get up and check it out! Then again, my second child was 10lb 1/2oz and he was born 13 minutes after I got to the hospital so I guess I can't complain. [​IMG]

8. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Quote:x2!

10. Ifowldown

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:My wife and I have 6 kids.

After I showed my wife the video of the chicken laying the egg, I said to her: "see, that wasn't so hard". "She didn't even make a peep".

[​IMG]

Luckily my wife and I joke with each other alot. [​IMG]

At least I hope she knows I was joking.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by