1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quitters you take out of your bator - what do you do with them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Oct 1, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    I've just taken out 10 eggs that were either clear or had blood rings. What do people usually do with the ones that stopped developing? Mine were taken out on day 9 and I was wondering if the clear ones would be alright to cook up as treats for my broodies babies?

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I would probably just toss them. But, dont do it yet. Wait a while longer.

3. Hi! The clear eggs, I hardboil and feed back to the birds. The others that are cloudy with anything weird/bacterial possibly growing, have bloodrings, or with embryos that started and stop, get buried.
    I candle usually on Day 6 and pull my clear eggs then. Day 9, I'd still be OK with hardboiling and feeding to back to the birds.
    Many people seem to be uncomfortable with the practice, but a clear egg is a clear egg.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I am queasy thinking of an egg sitting at 40* for over a week. [​IMG]

I bag them in a ziplock bag and toss in trash.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If the egg does not have bacteria growing in it, it will not go bad, even if it is at incubation temperatures. It does not matter if it is developing or not. They are fine to cook and feed back to the chickens or your dog. You can even eat them yourself, but I won't.

6. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    after 10 days past the due date I used to crack them open to see what happened. But then Some of them made me GAG. [​IMG] UGH the smelllllllll! Now I walk down the road and put them in the woods. If the bugs or something eats it, it just seem the natrual order of things. But I am never cracking them open again [​IMG]

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I crack open any quitter eggs to see what was going on in there. I sniff the contents and if I don't smell anything funky, I put the bowl into the microwave to cook the egg, then mash it up and feed to the chickens. If there's a tiny embryo, I'll still cook the, but if it's bigger, it creeps me out and I send it down the disposal.

8. Quote:Ooooh, I can't stand to see even the bloodring ones cooked because it does make my skin crawl --- too much for me. I don't think it would be harmful for the birds but beyond my 'seeing / handling tolerance'. It's all good protein (she types with a lump in throat).
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Ooooh, I can't stand to see even the bloodring ones cooked because it does make my skin crawl --- too much for me. I don't think it would be harmful for the birds but beyond my 'seeing / handling tolerance'. It's all good protein (she types with a lump in throat).
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

x2

10. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I toss them over the fence. I see the flock over them messing with the remains. Tossed a rotten egg the other day. They ran faster back home than they did going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by