Quitting Chickens? Strarting to sound good..

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by devin.carlson, Jan 14, 2013.

1. devin.carlson

devin.carlson Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Well I started out with four Light Brahma hens and an "oops" Brahma Rooster. Along with a one-legged ISA hen named Uno.

Things went downhill when coyotes took two of my hens from me.. but things started looking up when Mama had 6 chicks last spring! Ladyslipper was a great dad and kept his little flock in check.

Then things went sour again. One little baby disappeared in the afternoon, leaving behind four sisters and a brother. I was excited for the little boy - hoping that he'd grow up to be as sweet and friendly as his father!

But then he and his sister disappeared as well. Ladyslipper, Ma, Aunty, three baby girls, and Uno was all that was left. I can handle that. A small, happy flock.

Until a little girl began to get weak, started coughing, and died.

Time to move to a new place! No coyotes, nice farm, and new beginning!!

..And then another little one began to get sick. Falling over, weakness, and finally a seizure, bringing her to her end.

Ladyslipper, Ma, Aunty, Uno, and little Dinera left.

And then a dog decided to come into the picture. Ladyslipper sacrificed himself bravely to save his little family. Dinera went missing overnight and I had lost all hope. The dog probably got her too..

And then Joy!! She returned in the morning unharmed! Sad, sad little flock of girls.

And then Dinera started getting weak. Falling over.

She's in the house getting fluids and some TLC. But with just Ma, Aunty, and Uno left in their coop, I'm thinking about finding them homes. I can't find an answer to this stupid illness and fate seems to hate me.

Anyone have any advice? Or want a couple beautiful Brahmas? .. Don't want to let go of Uno but she'd be happier in a better home.. I've had her for three years and the others I had for two years.. With Ladyslipper gone (MY FAVORITE ROOSTER!!!) it all seems hopeless.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Gee I am sorry for all the pain you went through ! I feel like your coop is not secured enough. Where I live we have coyotes and hawks. I cannot let them out of their pens in feared they will killed them. they are always locked up at night. One time I had to come home really late from work ( didnt lock up the coop) I found 3 hens dead ! I am baffled what killed them ! they were all killed by their necks, what ever killed them didnt take them out of the pen ! People tells me weasles do this but I never seen one. You are not alone , There are lots of us out here had to go through this too !

3. devin.carlson

devin.carlson Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    I really wanted them to be free range - you can tell they hate being locked up. The coop itself was secure, the deaths and disappearences were lways during the daylight hours. They are in a large 12 ft by 4 ft dog kennel in the garage now because we moved and don't have a coop until spring.

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    hope you have a better place for them soon ! its not easy letting them free range. But when I do let them out, I am at home with them keeping an eye on them. Right now I have problems with neighbors dogs. grrrrr!!!

5. gambler

gambler Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    western Pa
    When I had Rhode Island reds I lost many during the daylight hours when they were free ranging. Seemed to happen all of the time. I got rid of the RIR's that I had left and purchased brown leghorns. I have had these chickens for almost 2 years and they free range every day and I have yet to lose one. I have seen a couple of times that tail feathers are missing but I still have the same amount that I started with. I think that because the leghorns can somewhat fly, that they escape the yotes and foxes that killed my RIR's. Now I do lock the leghorns up at night and let them out every day. Maybe you can look for a chicken breed that is slender and can fly up high to cure your predation problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by