Quseton for Delaware owners

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sheila3935, Sep 15, 2010.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a Delaware chick that is about a month old. This is my first experience with this breed. My question is its tail. It has a very stubby tail I mean almost rumpless as far as tail feathers. Does this mean roo. The comb is not very big or pink but that tail has me scared. Any ideas this pic was taken about a week and a half ago tail feathers basically looks the same
    [​IMG]

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I've noticed in most breeds we raise the hens will get a tail a couple weeks before the roos. Don't raise Delawares though, so not sure if it's the same with them.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That seems younger than a month old to me. Males and females both feather quickly so you can't go by that with Delawares. Males usually have lots of "smut" between the shoulders and down the back and by three or four weeks old, they have big pink combs. Can't tell sex from that picture, just too early.

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    It's honestly far to early to tell for sure... BUT, the size and length of those legs say boy to me.
    So does the sparse feathering, cockerels tend to feather out all over the place, not evenly like pullets. Though there are always exceptions to the rule.

Can you get us a more clear shot of the chicks head? Showing it's comb and wattles? (Or lack of wattles.)

5. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    This one was taken tonight he is 4 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    after looking at this one I am pretty sure boy What do you think
    [​IMG]

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Yup, that second picture confirms it.
    Boy.

7. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Thats what I was afraid of so I guess Miss Prissy is Mr. Prissy bummer anyone in Illinois want a delaware roo? I already have 2 roos cant keep him too.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yup, male. Now, if you'd shown us that picture first, that would have been easier to guess! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by