R-Com 20 as brooder??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Laurieks, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I want to keep my babies in the R-Com for now. We have 4 loverly Silkies; 3 BBS and one Partridge. [​IMG]
    There seems to be plenty of room in there for now. There is one egg to go so we may have 5 tomorrow. It's so cold in the porch where the brooder would go!
    Has anyone done this with a bator?
    Thanks,
    Laurie

2. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    I have the R-Com 20, and the only thing I don't like about it is the floor. It is so smooth, due to the way the turning works, that it is too slick for little chicks feet. You could end up with splayed legs on your chicks.

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:She could add a piece of that perforated foam shelf liner. That give them excellent traction and cleans up easily.

4. Laurieks

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    paper towel is working so far [​IMG] It's only 4 chicks, so they're happy for now, but growing fast. One more day and they go into the rubbermaid bin with the light. Right now they're in a 1 gallon plastic tub next to me on the couch. [​IMG]
    I have a drawer liner somewhere around here....
    Thanks for the input all [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got that bator, and it's VERY small. It's actually the only thing I don't like about it (it does a fantastic job incubating, though).

They will grow EXTREMELY fast, and so you'll need another spot for them soon. An outside porch is a poor choice, as it will be too cold for them - they need a heat lamp, and should be indoors (or in a garage - some place with solid walls) until they are feathered out.

6. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    we used to use rubber made tubs, if you make a wire top you can set the heat lamp right on it.

7. Laurieks

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Worked great for their first two days, now they're in a tub with a dog crate door on top. Happy as clams. Pics, soon I hope.
    Thanks for the input [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by