1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

R COM INCUBATOR operating questions- HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Solsken Farm, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an new RCom and the instructions that came with it are very limited and it is after hours. Can someone tell me a few things?

Where do you put the sponge?

How do you get the humidity up? I tried setting it to my preferred setting and it just reads low.

How does the universal egg turner work? It has slots that you put in this ring type of thing. This is very confusing to me. Did they forget to ship the egg turning tray to me?

I am clueless. [​IMG]

Thanks.[​IMG]

Edited, because I found the answer to one question already.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. zchickens

zchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    I have an R-Com 20, so if that is what you have, below are the appropriate answers to your questions:

Q#1
    To insert the sponge, you need to take apart the incubator. There are three latches - one in front, two in the back. Pop them open and remove the top. The sponge goes in the left front compartment of the bottom half. Wet the sponge before inserting it in the slot.

Q#2 After putting the incubator back together, fill the water reseviour up. Plug in the unit. Hold down the set button and the current setting for the humidity percentage should be displayed. While holding down the set button hit the +HUMI or -HUMI to adjust. (I usually set it at 40% for days 1-19; 60% or days 20-21).

Q#3 I don't use the universal turner, I use the standard 20 egg turner. How the turner works is that the flat plastic board at the bottom of the incubator moves back and forth, rolling the eggs held in the tray that sit on it. You just need to assembly the universal egg tray and sit it on top of the bottom board. I don't believe you need to hook it into anything.

Hope this helps.

Z

3. Solsken Farm

Ah! Thank you. I did not see any instructions telling me to take it apart to insert the sponge. Okay. That will probably solve everything.

Thanks. I am going to do that now.

4. Solsken Farm

Does the music occur every time it turns? Does it turn every hour?

Sweet little turning song.[​IMG]

5. zchickens

zchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    Yes it turns the eggs each hour, and the song changes each time. I know that I have heard at least ten different tunes [​IMG] play during the turning.

Z

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by