R-COM mini incubator?

horsecrazy

Songster
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
central CA
has anyone had experience with the r-com mini incubator? it is so cute but I am a little suspicious of the just-add-water-and-walk-away thing. does it work? and also do you need the quail egg tray for bantam eggs?

thanks xo

I am not familiar with this bator, but I do know that you don;t need the quail eggs trays for the banty eggs...they are small, but not that small!
ETA: isn't that the one that holds like 3 eggs? If so, trust me you are gonna want to go with a bigger one...it is soooo addictive!

Last edited:
I looked into these, and WOW ~ they run around $150 to $170 !!! For that much, you could get a really nice BIG one, with forced air, and everything. Shoot, you could even get a turner with it, for that. ~ sorry, my cheapskate side takes over everytime....
But we want to get an incubator too ~ I am still debating what kind ~ my kids want to hatch button quails, but then I am thinking ~ maaayyybbeee...... just MAYBE ... I could justify a bigger one and hatch out chickens as well. But I don't know how cost effective it is to go that route ~ maybe it's just cheaper to get the peeps from the feed-store in the spring, I don't know.
~Red

I Have two r-com3's,and love them! It is true, you can walk away, if you want to. I prefer to candle and obsess like everyone else!

I figured out this last hatch that I really don't have to open it at all, I can candle right through the viewing window.

I bought mine a few years ago, and finally tested the temps as I was getting bad feet on my chicks. The temp was low in one and high in the other. I bought them through Brinsea, so I called Brinsea, and they are going to re-calibrate and set up new software in them so I can re-calibrate as needed in the future.

I have hatched bantam chickens (no tray needed) and quail, and have to say I am very happy. They are a snap to clean, and my only real gripe is the water plug is so small it is easy to lose- as I had to replace one with a shaved pencil eraser.

Good luck!
Jayne
big_smile.png

jaybme -

your r-coms are the cute little ones that hold 3 eggs and are digital, right? those are the ones I am looking at.

Got one for my son with the candler right now we have 2 duck eggs one was bad had 3. It is cute and sits right above my computer. It beeps and beeps then turns them. It also beeps a special beep if it is out of water. We'll let you know if it did good or not this is our first time using it. So far it does seem to be a set and leave. We had those styro-foam ones with the turner spent $ and got nothing. So we have this one for ducks and special eggs. We have a large one also that holds 360 eggs so it depends on what you want.

Quote:
don't get me wrong I'm a tightwad too! hey it saves money
smile.png

where can you get those cheap-but-big bators? I have only been looking at murray mcmurray and their bators are super expensive...

Yes, mine are the mini r-com that hold 3 eggs of regular size, 7 quail.

They are tiny and they are a little pricey, but for stress free incubating for small flocks they are perfect.

I say on Ebay they are $99, and the other one you are talking- the Hovabator? about I have seen at my feed store for about the same price with the turner, $40 without.

I just don't have space for the big one, nor can I hatch many eggs due to my suburban space, so the r-coms work for me. We also use mine at the elementary school in the spring, so they get dual use...

Good luck!

Jayne

Back
Top Bottom