R-Com or Brinsea?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gypsy07, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm planning on getting a bigger incubator some time this year. The one I've got now takes 12 eggs, and I'd like one that will take 20-40 eggs. I'd really like one that regulates the humidity automatically as well as turning the eggs. From what I've read R-Com and Brinsea seem to make the best fully automatic bators out there.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has one of these bators with the full auto options. What are the good and bad points of it? Anything you'd like to be different about it?

It's funny what you don't think of until you've got more experience. My first bator is good enough, and it turns the eggs automatically, but I think I'd like one that rocks them side to side instead of rolling them over. I'd like one that I don't need to open the door to refill the water, and I'd also like one that either has more clear plastic all round it, or has a light inside it. Hatches are so exciting but my bator is dark and I often don't see much of the action...

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Here is a thread dedicated to the Rcom Suro. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=313427 Pretty sure there is one for the Brinsea too somewhere. Might be worth a read. I have the Rcom and if I were in the market to buy another I would probably give the Brinsea a try as I haven't been 100% happy with it although it is miles better than the Hovabator that I had previously. Hope this helps.

3. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thanks Highlander, I'll have a look. Should have known there would be dedicated threads here at BYC. D'oh! So which model RCom have you got and what aren't you happy with? Having had my bator for a while now there's lots of wee things I don't like about it, stuff you never think about when you're a newbie to it all. I'm interested in specific niggles people might have had with them...

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I have the Rcom King Suro. I had a perfect hatch the first time round but the three hatches after that have been pretty poor. I have been having issues with the temps. The temp display on the bator reads 37.5 and holds steady but after a couple of disastrous hatches I realised the internal temp was not matching the bator reading. Since then I used my Brinsea Spot Check Thermometer inside and adjusted the bator accordingly which helped tremendously but I still have issues with temp swings - but only when the turner is on and moving . My latest hatch I decided to hand turn them and that worked perfectly, unfortunately I had a batch of infertile eggs [​IMG] I really do like this incubator despite the temp issues though and the automatic humidity system is brilliant. If I could only have a good batch of eggs to put in it!

5. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Where are you getting your eggs from? And what kinds are you trying to hatch out? I've never had much luck with eggs that have come through the post but I'm persevering with them as I can't find anyone near me selling either the eggs or the birds that I'm looking for. I'm planning on trying my luck with some Ixworths soon but fully expecting that two or three batches of eggs will probably give me two cockerels, if I'm lucky. That's what happened to me last year with my Marsh Daisy eggs, it was so frustrating.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Brinsea - [​IMG]

7. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Brinsea - [​IMG]

Have you tried both of them out?​

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have the Brinsea Octagon Advance EX or something like that. I forget exactly what the model name is but it is the one with all the bells and whistles. I just did my first hatch ever in it. I loved the bator. It does all of the turning, keeps a very stable temperature and with the humidity pump it is pretty much set it and forget it. The only thing I noticed on this hatch was my eggs hatched late so I am going to verify the temperature at egg level the next time I incubate. I don't have any experience with the R-Com.

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Have you tried both of them out?

No - I ordered my Brinsea Mini Advanced last night. I did my research before I bought...everyone seemed to like the Brinsea models, more than the R-Com. [​IMG] Plus they're a little cheaper. [​IMG]

10. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Reading all these threads a about Brinsea Vs. what-ever-else and everyone seems to be happy with a Brinsea.

I think I know where some of this years tax return is going.... [​IMG]

I have a Hova-bator at the farm and an LG. both have their quirks. Both are styrobators, meaning their physical size is HUGE! I have a Small space in which to put a 'Bator, so smaller would be better.

I'll probably be going with a Mini-Advance unit. An Octagon 20 would be nice, but I don't have the need to hatch a couple dozen at a time. A few does fine for us!

Please keep posting, the more I see, the more addicted I get! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by