1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

R.I.P. Cheepers 11/28/10

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WriterofWords, Nov 22, 2010.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Since the coop was broken into and Cheeps lost his family he's been scared to move, and just hunches into himself. I thought he was coming out of it but this morning when I opened the door he staggered and fell. I got a little water down him but the only thing I've gotten him to eat is mashed pears. What can I give him to get his strength up? I haven't found obvious injuries but he could have internal. It will be one week tomorrow night since the break in. What can do I for him?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    He ate a little strawberry yogurt just now.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I always use baby parrot hand feeding formula. It mixes up into a oatmeal type consistency and is easier to put in a syringe (typically) or to tube feed.... Full of good stuff. Warm scrambled eggs work well also as the little pieces are easy to put into the beak if they refuse. Some like warm canned dog food.. the cheap kind. Many times just taking chick starter and mixing with warm water and making a mash is tempting to them..... Best Wishes

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    You know, he does love eggs, I will make him up some gooey scrambled eggs with a little cheese! Thank you so much!

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry to hear that something awful happened [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Poor dear Cheeps. It is heartbreaking to hear his plight.

A drop or two of Rescue Remedy in his water may provide a calming effect. The 3 drops liquid Polyvisol childrens vitamins (without added iron) daily administered via dropper along his beak line may help bolster him. As may typically enticing stuff like mealworms, sunflower seeds, watermelon etc. if hand feeding works.

I'm so sorry (bears repeating). Hope he'll be okay.

JJ

6. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I am so sorry for his horrible traumatic experience. Poor guy. One type of high protein food that mine can't resist is fish -- like sardines, salmon, tuna, tilapia. I mix a wee bit with something more mild like oatmeal, bread crumbs, chopped veggies, rice... a little bit a couple of times a day. If you can, if he'll let you, hold him on your lap and pet him while you softly talk to him. Just the safe connection with another being can help him relax.

Good luck -- please let us know how he's doing.

Jenny

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    He's sitting in my lap enjoying movies and snuggling right now. He's curled up with one of my cats.

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Awwwww - - that's good.

JJ

9. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    Can we have an update on lil Cheeps? I do so hope he has perked up, and is finding a will to go on.

My heart is still so heavy at your losses.

Kacey
    [​IMG]

10. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    He has had some water with vitamins and electrolytes and eaten some starter soaked in the same water/vit/elec mix. I really think he's improved but he's still in the living room with me in a kennel or in my lap. I do think something is wrong with his vision though, he doesn't seem to see the water or food until it's right up by him so I don't know if he's seeing or smelling it. If I hold the water in front of him and pull it back he will follow it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by