R.I.P. Copper - Official Handi-cap chicken thread

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Let me tell your how Copper came into this world ...

Tinkerbell decided to go broody again for the 2nd time in the old barn, the day the babies started hatching she abandon the nest. Luckily my mom found the nest before anything else did.I quickly put the chick in the brooder and put all the 13 remaining eggs in the incubator. Four or Five chicks had hatched and some had pips in them, I could hear a chick peeping inside the incubator, so I listened to all the eggs but didn't hear anything? I then heard the peeping again and it sounded like it was coming from behind the incubator fan! [​IMG]

I quickly moved all the eggs under a heat lamp and un-plug the incubator and took all the egg trays out, my little brother climbed into the incubator and finally after a few stress-ful minutes rescued the poor thing! Since he had saved it I let him name it, he decided on "Copper" because the chick was a copper color.

Copper continued to grow into a fine young pullet, from the first day you could tell she was a different bird.

I finally moved them all to the "Growing out Pen" with some of my older chickens. They got used to eachother pretty fast and I was able to let them all Free Range again.

They had been in their coop for a few months and had adapted to their new sorroundings very well. ( < SP? )

My mom got me up this morning and told me there was a dead chicken out at the barn, I asked her what color it was and she replyed a Multi - Colored one, I got an image in my head of my poor little multi colored frizzled hen! I threw some rubber boots on and ran to the barn as fast as I could go. Sure enough there was a headless chicken .. something had "Tryed" to pull the dead chicken threw the wire but couldn't.
    I immediatly saw it was Copper, my brother's chicken. [​IMG]
    Of course my little sister was pretty sad as well, she had grown pretty fond of the younger chickens and had helped me name quiet a few of them.

I got rid of the dead chicken and fixed all the places in the coop that I thought something could pull a chicken threw.

I then let all the chickens out and I was in the backyard and I noticed that "Donald" one of my younger cockerals was acting weird, I walk out the door and pick him up and horrifighed to see that his wing is tore off! [​IMG]
    I mean it was tore clear off the bone! [​IMG] "Not a pleasant sight!"

I put him in a hutch by himself, he seemed to be in alot of pain, he only got up once today to get a drink of water and then layed back down in the warm shavings again.

This afternoon I was going out to the quail building to turn my quail eggs and I see Henry ( another young chicken ) limping around, I quickly catch him and look him over and under one of his wings there is blood .. something must have tryed to ripp off his wing as well! [​IMG]

I have had a very stressful day .... I was eating breakfast and I kept seeing flash-backs of all the bloody chickens ... [​IMG]

I now have at "least" one Handi - Caped chicken, I thought I should start a thread for everyone else that has handicaped chickens. [​IMG]

Please send me your username if you would like to be a member and I will add you to the group.

Members:

Gagalerslove
    texasgal

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i have no handi-apps, but i wanted to share my condolences [​IMG]

3. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    That whole thing sounds like a coon. Sometimes at night a younger pheasant will wander up to the wire and they pull them through in pieces. Sometimes I find one headless, or missing a leg that fell back or pulled back into the pen before he got it all. Sometimes a pile of feathers with the beak and toes outside the pen. Sorry for your loss. A 2 or 3 foot high run of 1/2 " hardware cloth may help. A live trap with marshmallows too.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    We have a live trap, but the guys aren't here so we don't know how to set the darn thing! [​IMG]
    Marshmellows? I've never heard of that before .. does it work?

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I'm so sorry for your losses! That's horrible! I, too, lost one to a rascal last week, but it was because she was handicapped and couldn't roost or get away. Maybe if you put a layer of fencing on each side of the pen supports, predators can't reach in and get 'em? I hope your chickens heal fast!

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    *Sighs* Wish chickens could grow wings back ... [​IMG]

7. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I have had several handi-capped chickens in the last year and a half, but most end up not making it. I was really rooting for my little Silkie that hatched with only one eye. It made it a week, but then died. Right now I only have Eliza. Eliza is my Silver Lakenvelder pullet. She is nearly 6 months old now, but about 2 months ago we realized that Eliza's vision had failed. Eliza is now almost completely blind. She is quick and it took us a little while to realize that she wasn't eating. I found her puffed up in the chicken yard one afternoon, and when I scooped her up I was appalled to feel how thin she was. I took her in the house, set down some food and water, and put her in front of it, and she just sat there. I tapped the side of the dish and she followed my hand down and found the food, and it was then that we realized she was blind. It was a sad moment, but we've learned to adapt as well as she has. She can't see anything close, and things far away are hard for her to see, but she can catch glimpses of shiny things, and she follows sounds, so we are constantly monitoring her to make sure she gets enough to eat. She has regained all the weight she lost and now she comes right up to the door, and if we open it, she marches right in and demands to be fed. It's funny. She knows we'll put something down for her. She will then gorge herself and go wait by the door for someone to let her back out. The other birds pick on her but not enough to make me remove her from the flock. It's more like they get annoyed at how clumsy she is, and they peck her to tell her to get out of the way. No one wants to really pal around with her, but she doesn't really need it. She has memorized the path up to the house and if one of us are outside she is literally right on our heels. She's a good little girl. I don't know really if her vision will continue to fail her or not, but it doesn't matter. She is well loved and will continue to have a forever home here, along with her mate Monty. They are my younger DD's birds and she loves them. Heck, we all do!

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I too have had (Kenny) she was terribly disabled but I kept trying all I could to improve her life, I spent hours with her trying to help her move, eat, drink and take an interest in her surroundings, I even enquired on here (BYC) about making her a chair and got a great result from our emu hugger friend - she showed me a design which did help - but eventually it was time for Kenny to have her painfree life - it was hard for me to let her go but I did what I needed to do for her - so R.I.P. my Kenny - you were brave and I will never forget you!

I have Blindside - he only has one eye - VERY cute and he has an enormous amount of feathers which make him look like a ball of fluff, I also have a naked neck and she has only one eye ( a fight with a goose), Tweebie - an incredibly diminutuve Silkie chicken, but she is happy! She is my favourite at the moment and comes to me whenever I call her ( well, that is apart from her Mum "Silkie Maman" - she is fine - no disabilities) - the list goes on, I have various chickens who have injuries and I love them all!

I think that sometimes we are priveliged to have these "special" chickens - they give us so much, they humble us in that they continue to enhance our lives despite their disabilities!

Hope all goes well for all of you and yours!!!!

Suzie
    [​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    This morning Donald wasn't even standing up, poor guy! [​IMG]
    He has gotten alot weaker and can't stand up as far as I can tell. [​IMG] Sweet little Henry has been by his side and cuddles with him! [​IMG] Henry is being a sweet chickie! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] For Donald! [​IMG]

10. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

This morning Donald wasn't even standing up, poor guy! [​IMG]
    He has gotten alot weaker and can't stand up as far as I can tell. [​IMG] Sweet little Henry has been by his side and cuddles with him! [​IMG] Henry is being a sweet chickie! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] For Donald! [​IMG]

Are you cleaning his wing area frequently to help stave off affection? Are you giving him any antibiotics in his water? Have you put anything on it like Blu Kote? I'm rooting for Donald, but if he's losing strength, it doesn't look good. Maybe offer him some gatorade too. Have you posted in the injuries area? I would, just to see what advice you can get. Good luck with both the boys, I pray they make it and go on to live long, full lives.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by