R.I.P. Ella...*You will always be loved*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by <3ChickenForever, Oct 17, 2011.

1. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    R.I.P. Ella

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just 10 minutes ago I went down to collect some eggs and lock the chickens up for the night. I counted 20... (Usually it's 21). So I looked out into my yard to see if there was a hen wondering around. Nothing. So I decided to look behind the feed buckets and there I saw, my Ella laying there. I poked her, she didn't flinch. I moved the buckets and picked her up. She was so stiff. I knew she was dead. I put her down, running to the house to tell my mom. We both rushed out, along with my brothers and when I picked her up again, I examined her for any cuts a predator might have did. None. We knew she wasn't killed from a predator. For sure. My mom went and grabbed a garbage bag and I put her in there. I walked back down to the coop and burried her by it. There she lies, peacefully. I was devastated. She was my only ameracauna. I miss her already.

My question is, what sickness could she have had to kill her?

Before she had runny poop, but I thought she was ok, I thought maybe next time she wouldn't have runny poop. I thought wrong I guess....

R.I.P. Ella♥♥

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    awww im sorry thats always hard to lose a beloved animal

what color was her poop.

3. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Thank you.

And I think... hmm not sure.. brown??? I'm not sure though.

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    how old was she..
    her poop does sound normal if it was brown if it was yellow or green thats a sign of some kind of infection.

sometimes it just happens it could have been anything.. sometime if i have a chicken die i do a nycropsy (spelling?) so see if i could see anything wrong if her intestens where empty but crop was full she could have had a impacted crop.

im no an expert but i learn more if i see the inside of them

5. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:She's a year.

But like I said, I didn't know what color her poop was. And she had thrown up when we first got her, but I thought maybe she drank to much water. Then she never threw up again that I know of.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    In young layers usually one of two things usually gets them- heart condition or reproductive issues. Could either have been Ella's problem?

Sorry for your loss either way. It's always tough to lose a favorite.

7. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry... I know what It feels like to Lose a Favorite.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Hmm I don't know.... But thanks for the info.

9. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Thank you!

10. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith &amp; Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Im so sorry. She's adorable! But don't miss her too much. How would you feel to be in heaven having a wonderful time, and seeing all your loved ones crying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by