R.I.P. Felipa Leghorn

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HHandbasket, Nov 2, 2010.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Day before yesterday, my little leghorn girl, Felipa, went into the nesting box to lay her daily orb of yummy white protein goodness as she does every day, but she became eggbound and died that evening trying to get it out. We tried what we could to help her, but sometimes it just happens. She was a young bird, our first loss, and she had been laying about six weeks. I wanted to share some pics of her and her life. I have more pics, but these are the only ones I've uploaded so far.

This is Felipa as a young 6-week-old chick, the day she came to live with us.

[​IMG]

This is Felipa at roughly 2-1/2 months old:

[​IMG]

This is here in August, about 3 weeks before she began laying:

[​IMG]

She was a fun leghorn, lots of personality, kinda loud and flighty but super-friendly and warm, not your typical leghorn. She would get up in our laps for pets and treats.

We'll miss her. She's in a special spot under the tree in the backyard where she especially loved to forage for bugs.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    [​IMG] I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a pretty girl!

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    She was a wonderful girl, totally changed my mind about Leghorns. I always avoided them, but this girl was totally sweet and different from the "norm". I'll miss her jumping in my lap and always running when the door opens :*)* she was so little with such a big voice too!

Here are some more pictures of the sweet girl:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We will miss you Felipa!

-Kalie, Joon, Munk, Monica, Butternut, and Phoebe. Tommy too!

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Very sorry to hear that - must be very tough

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I love the way her comb falls to the side. Very sorry you lost her.

6. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was a total sweetheart and had a great personality. I'm sure you will keep her fondly in your memories. [​IMG] I've heard common production breeds often don't live very long because they are bred to "burn out" fairly quickly, once they're done producing peak amounts of eggs (usually at around eighteen months). Of course there are exceptions, but it's something to keep in mind when choosing breeds as pets. Sounds like she didn't fall victim to that because she was younger than eighteen months as far as I can tell, but I thought I'd bring that up. Anyway, lots of e-hugs and good thoughts coming your way. [​IMG]

8. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    [​IMG] so sorry sounds like Felipa was very special. It's always hard to loose one, especially your favorites.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry [​IMG]

10. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

My DH came home from work the other day and spent the entire afternoon out in the backyard, making a special marker for where Felipa is buried. As soon as it was placed, the rest of the flock came over and paid their respects. It was almost a magical, spiritual moment (if there can be such a thing among chickens). We were fortunate enough to have camera phones handy.

[​IMG]

We miss you, Felipa Leghorn. Your flock sisters are missing you, too.

As an aside, while I love my hubby for doing this, can you imagine what our backyard will look like if he makes one of these every time we lose a bird? I think this is special because she was our first loss, gave us our first eggs, and was a nice pet. I think digging a hole and saying a nice prayer and giving thanks to God for the time she was here and the food she provided for our family was plenty 'nuff. But he had to have the headstone.... LOL. I married a wonderful, sentimental sap.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by