R.I.P. Gerri & Hannah :( Could a possum do this??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickie Mamma, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Woke up to a gruesome find today. My beautiful Gerri and her sister Hannah were ripped through the chain-link fence. We have foxes and coons, but the gate has been this way for about 2 years now and haven't had an issue til today. The electric fence broke a few weeks ago and I have been taking my time getting a new one. I feel horrible that this may have been avoided. Now, new fence is installed and the chain-link area is covered well. A little too late [​IMG]
    "Gerri"
    [​IMG]

"Hannah"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:So sorry for your loss, they were beautiful. It seems to be the year of the predator, everyone I know has been loosing birds, myself included even with precautions, so dont blame yourself. Even people here in NH with them locked up in coops at night have been getting violated, bears do a lot of damage to a coop.

3. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    I feel your pain I recently lost lost my beautiful little Delawares. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Awwww, I'm so sorry, they are so beautiful. [​IMG]

5. hennylove

hennylove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern WA Rural
    So very sorry for your loss. They were lovely hens.[​IMG]

6. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Quote:I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't be too hard on yourself.

Sandee

7. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks guys ... I am just glad my kids didn't go up to feed them today. I haven't lost a bird in 2 years, was always so careful. Thankfully, my white silkie roo (who won a blue ribbon at the fair this week) stayed in the basement last night. I was hoping to have some fertile eggs this fall. [​IMG]

8. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Oh, what pretty birds they were. I'm sorry that happened to them. You can never be too careful I guess. I hope the predators stay away.

9. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I was wondering if a possum could have done this?? I just saw a possum run across my yard, I scared him off, but do they eat chickens? I've seen foxes and raccoons around here too, but could it be coincidence? I want to see him get zapped by the electric fence [​IMG] Maybe I'd feel a little better [​IMG]

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] sorry for your loss. they were very pretty. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by