R.I.P. Jane the Serama...help me diagnose!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by awesomefowl, May 16, 2011.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Serama hen, not sure of age or weight, but she is very small.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Found on her side stiff and dead dead in coop

3) Symptoms
    None! She was perfectly fine the day before.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    None, except her comb and wattles were dark, making me think she may have had a stroke or heart attack.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I do not know.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Layer mash, and water. Occasional greens.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    It looked fine.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    I did a necropsy on her, but didn't find anything strange, except a circle of gray skin underneath her vent. She had a fully formed spongy egg inside her.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    6' x 14" hutch, with woodshavings on a wood floor.

Poor Rochester, the rooster is heartbroken! I am thinking to get out of Seramas, since I haven't had any luck breeding them.

Anyone have any ideas of what could have caused her death?
    Thanks, Awesomefowl

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am so sorry for the loss of your hen. Its very hard to know and if you didn't find anything unusual in the necropsy then it could have been heart related. How did her heart look? how old was she. I went out on sat. to clean coops and found one of my hens dead in the nest box. it was such a shock since earlier in the day she was hanging out with the mamas and chicks and running for meal worms. Some things you just never know. she would have been 2 in Aug. they can hide illness so well you just don't have any idea till you find them dead sometimes. again very sorry [​IMG]

3. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    So sorry for your loss! Its hard losing any of them.

Is it possible that she fell off the roost and broke her neck? I have found several of mine over the past 8 years who were fine one day and dead the next. I have always wondered if they broke their necks somehow.

Unfortunately, sometimes we never know what happened. I had a beautiful easter-egger, Brownie, and she was always full of life and looked totally healthy. I found her dead on the coop floor a couple weeks ago. The only thing I could see externally, was maybe bumblefoot......but I don't think that's what killed her.

Again, sorry for your loss!

4. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I really do not know how old she was; under 3 years definitely. And her liver was dark so she was probably only a year of two. her heart was so tiny, but looked normal to me. (I don't know what else it would look like?) I think Rochester was older as he had long spurs.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    it's probably just one of those things we all just have to chalk up to as mysteries of life. Just keep an eye on everyone for a while just in case it could have been a disease. thats what I am doing.

6. chickndoglover

chickndoglover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Victoria, BC Canada
    I just happened to come across your post, as I am trying to figure things out about my Seramas, I have had nothing but bad luck with mine. First I bought 2 pair from Alberta last year and within a week the one male died in his sleep,( I had them all inside as they came from a heated building), I got a second male to replace him who died about 3 months later. Then the one pair hatched out 7 babies , 5 males who all turned out way too big and the two girls were doing well until about 6 months then one died and the second died a month later. The boys seem to be healthier I think because they are big, they are all outside now as I have tried to get them used to the weather which is warmer now. I did contact the breeder as they were dropping dead and he said that sometimes their combs turn purple and they die, for no real reason, he said it is a lethal gene and maybe because they are just too small. Well I am totally discouraged and I have sold my original pair and two of the boys and I just noticed tonight that one of the boy's comb and waddles of turned a deep purple , so I hope he is not going to die. It just breaks my heart so I wont be breeding anymore seramas, thats for sure:(.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by