R.I.P. Local feed mill

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by amandarey20, Jan 28, 2011.

1. amandarey20

amandarey20 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    It was such a great place and is now closed. [​IMG]

Now where am I supposed to buy chicken feed? I live in the middle of the city. [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Do a internet search for TSC (tractor supply company) and search store locations. You won't care for the prices, necessarily, but they are available. Also search for Atwoods or Attwoods.

These places typically are in every medium town and many, are in the 'Burbs.

3. amandarey20

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    Ok.

Purina, DuMor, or Manna?

Anyone have a personal preference? And why?

4. Fred's Hens

DuMor is Purina, but is merely TSC's Kenmore to Whirlpool for Sears, if you know what I mean.
    The savings is only a buck, but it helps. All of these feeds are getting incredibly expensive. Expect to pay $13 for a 50#.

Meanwhile, it'll tide you over. Don't give up hope for another source of lower priced, yet quality feed. I save money buying quality Armada feed, but it isn't stocked at a store right near me. Even if you only pass by your new source every 3 months, it is worth stocking up when you do. I have no convenient feed store near me and this is what I have to do. I cannot pay top dollar for EVERY bag of feed, just for the convenience.

Here's to happy shopping!

5. amandarey20

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    Fred's Hens :

DuMor is Purina, but is merely TSC's Kenmore to Whirlpool for Sears, if you know what I mean.
    The savings is only a buck, but it helps. All of these feeds are getting incredibly expensive. Expect to pay $13 for a 50#.

Meanwhile, it'll tide you over. Don't give up hope for another source of lower priced, yet quality feed. I save money buying quality Armada feed, but it isn't stocked at a store right near me. Even if you only pass by your new source every 3 months, it is worth stocking up when you do. I have no convenient feed store near me and this is what I have to do. I cannot pay top dollar for EVERY bag of feed, just for the convenience.

Here's to happy shopping!

Luckily I only have three chicks I'll be getting so I can start out at using 5 pound bags. Until they need laying pellets and stuff like that, then I'll stock up.​

6. Fred's Hens

I'd still buy a 20# bag of chick starter/grower. They'll amaze you how fast they'll go through it.
    5# bags is quite high priced per pound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by