1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

R.I.P. my beloved tomato plants... darn chickens!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiffanyg2, Jun 8, 2011.

1. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    I couldn't believe my eyes this morning they completely demolished my tomato plants I had in the backyard. I suppose I should have seen the warning signs... they discovered my really big cherry tomato plant that was just outside the garden that is sectioned off. Well I had a partially reddened tomato that wasn't quite red enough for me to pick and eat so I left it growing. Well yesterday afternoon I walked outside to check on things and I see a mostly eaten reddish tomato laying in the grass. And I thought to myself did Amber (my daughter) bring a tomato outside for the chickens???? Then I thought ohhhh no my tomato plant so I ran over to it and there were these little green baby tomato's laying on the ground!!!! [​IMG] As I start griping at the chickens they just kinda look at me like what??? [​IMG] So I run into the garage and cut out some stakes from some leftover wood I have and grab my vege garden netting~ And I stake that wood into the ground and zip tie the netting around the stakes...meanwhile the chickens are all circling my feet like what you doing, whatcha doing?! So I blocked off my big plant and saved the rest of my tomato's. Well I had this little 5ft section on the opposite side of the yard and I had about 5 tomato plants growing in there. I thought they would be safe they hadn't touched them yet and there are no flowers or tomato's on them yet. So I just thought I had time to barricade them off. WELL~ this morning when I went to water them... There was just sticks poking out of the ground [​IMG] They ate everything and left a twig!!! [​IMG] Now I really wish I had put the netting around that one to. I don't know if it's worth saving them~ they are just twigs now. So this is my euology of my dearly beloved tomato plants...

I still love my chickens but I coulda [​IMG] but I guess the taste was to much for them to resist.

Will they eat everything in my backyard~ what else should I be barricading???

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I had the same yesterday.....all the foliage gone.....just a few stalks left. All that time, effort, and work for nothing.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd be careful letting your girls near tomato plants. Plants in the tomato family (potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, bell peppers) are toxic. They can have the fruit, but not the plants.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, I sooo know how you feel. Luckily, I have my garden inside my fenced yard, and then we even had to put a chicken wire fence around that, so it's fenced in twice......If it's not the chickens, it's the rabbits! Even the deer have jumped the fence and taken bites out of the green tomatoes!

Last year, my little munchy hens ate my hostas like it was a salad bar! I have a nice raised flower bed that goes across the front of the house, and one day when I was weeding, my girls were around so I threw them some worms, next thing I know, they are all around the hostas, just munching away! I could only laugh. It was my fault because feeding them the worms brought the flower bed to their attention.

Well, this year, so far so good, they haven't noticed my new mulch and coleius plants and my new azelea bushes......I also have this really cute vining plant called a candy corn vine, which is freakin adoreable! I'm praying they don't notice it.....They do mainly stay in the back of the property, and in the woods that surround the house......

So sorry for you tomato plant loss.........[​IMG][​IMG]

5. tiffanyg2

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:Haha I'm over it~ they had a nice salad! But I do still have quite a few more tomato plants sectioned off but I was so excited because the ones they ate~ I started from seeds and they were looking great! I'm a avid gardner so I have all kinds of pretty plants and garden areas out back and out front. Luckily they really have attacked much else outside [​IMG] Now they did completely devour my dahlia's that I bought my daughter for her birthday. They ate that up like it was candy!! I am terrified of planting my baby passion vines I started from seeds out back in fear of them little peckers! [​IMG] Haha ok I have to know about this candy corn vine!??? What and where did you get this [​IMG] I'm a vine hoarder [​IMG]

PS I hope the chickens ignore your gardens to!

6. tiffanyg2

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:OMG didn't know that!!! luckily they were small plants [​IMG] They won't have that opportunity again!

7. tiffanyg2

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:[​IMG] Sorry for your plants as well...

8. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    When putting in the garden this year, I told everyone that we had to put up the fence before planting anything. Well after a lot grumbling and mumbling we got the fence up. Got all the plants in but we had a couple of extra plants that we didn't have room for. I was going to give them away but hubby said to just plant them some place else....OK
    They lasted a whole 2 days before completely disappearing. My hubby came out and asked where did the plants go, I just pointed at the chickens and didn't say a word, and neither did he. But I saw him eye the garden and sigh because all the plants were still there, safe behind the fence no one else wanted to put up.

Lesson learned

9. tiffanyg2

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:Haha love the fact you were right~ but sorry you lost some plants!! I have a 5ft fence around the garden... my fear is the chickens will get beyond the fence! I came out a few weeks ago and one of the boys was just standing in the middle of the vegetable garden [​IMG] I was like how did he do that!! My BO's are to *big* to fly up that high but somehow he managed. But I coached him to come back up and out and I watched how he did it~ Think Movie 'MATRIX" He literally flapped his wings and ran up the fence [​IMG] I just kinda stood there in awe of his coolness~ but in great fear for my vegetabes! Luckily it's never happened agin [​IMG]

10. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    if you think thats bad, try having strawberry plants and a grape vine... strawberries are gone, havent seen one grow yet [​IMG] . The low hanging grapes are all gone. Then yesterday i see gilda (my rir roo) jumping up really high to get the higher grapes ...this was so amusing that i forgave him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by