r.i.p my sweet babys

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lacyloo, Oct 13, 2007.

1. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    All of yall know that I have lots or animals so dealing with animals you have to get use to the deaths. Well wensday my frizzle roo went missing then I found his remains in the woods the next day. Ok yesterday I get home from school and a metal cattle gate crushd my rhode island red pullet to death so once I burded her I went to the schools football team. I get home, 10:00 o clock go outside to find the cattle panel that i had put back up was knocked over by the goats crusing my sweet bantam rooster. now i feel like crap. And concidering selling all the birds and goats. what should i do??? Its all my faut but I know things happen. IM just sick of the dramha.

thanks for listing to me gripe.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sometimes things like that happen no matter what we do. [​IMG]

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Sorry for your losses but you cant let that make you give up on the others...Just secure the panel better and maybe it will stay up better. Some things happen for a reason and we are not supposed to know why. How did you repair the panel? was it just tied or chained to the posts where it was/ I would have someone help me fix it better so it dont come down again unless you want it too...Good luck and again I am sooo sorry for your losses...

4. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    ok i use the panel as a gate to keep the goats /chickens out of the feed shed well the first time i forgot to secure and the chickens jumped on top of it and it fell on the hen while she was eating.the second time i just layed it behind the shed kindsa probed up itill i could get home and fix it but the goats being clumbsy escaped from their pen and knocked over onto my bantam i took the cattle pannel and threw it in the woods.... and yea im a firm beilever of things happening for a reason. i just wished i know it [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    It is very upsetting when we lose our little ones. But that is no reason to give up. Even the best on here have suffered a loss that probably could have been prevented. We are human and life is a learning lesson.
    Don't beat yourself up, it happens.

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Goats and loose gates dont mix!!!
    I hope you can take it easy on yourself and move on after youve fixed it!!!
    Hugs.
    Im very sorry to hear about your losses.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry, Tayler. It's awful to lose them no matter how it happens.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    So sorry for your losses lacy. Sounds like its time to reassess your secure locations for your animals. I would take the weekend to do a good walkover of the property and identify what needs to be fixed and start working on the biggest dangers first. Think of it like babyproofing the house (close up outlets, fasten drawers, remove poisons, etc). All of our animals need a safe, secure environment and its our job to make sure we provide that. Good luck.

Jody

9. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    thanks. yall i feel better i will try to get everything fixed this weekend

10. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    When my baby roo was killed I thought about selling the rest of my birds, for a split second. Then I thought about my other babies that my lil roo died protecting and I knew I had to keep them. When something bad happens I think everyone's first thought is to give up but don't. Your other animals depend on you.

I'm VERY sorry about your chickens. :aww

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by