R.I.P. Rasputin the roo.....disclaimer: very sad story.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kaybats, Oct 7, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Had to take a road trip today. One of the few days I didn't spend most of my day with chickens/animals. Went out this morning before I left and took care of everyone. and all was well. Got back a couple of hours ago, and, of course everybody was excited to see me...treat time. All still well. Gave out treats and let the Buffs and White Rocks out to free range for a while. Went over to tend ducks...Not far from the coops, and took, oh say, probably 20 minutes or so (never really timed myself).

Back to the coops to let out RIR girls, then over to the 2nd coop to let out Cinnamons. And there he was, motionless. I saw his eye closed, but poked him anyway (he was still warm [​IMG] )

I just got him around the middle of August and he wasn't the nicest roo, but he was never really mean with me. The farmer I got him from didn't know how old he was as he got him from another farmer, who had gotten him from someone else who got him from. ....you get the picture....he had been re-homed several times. He was part of the deal with the Cinnamons.

He looked pretty ragged and had only one eye so I named him Rasputin. Partly because of the story and partly because of the fact his crow was 'raspy'. I kind of figured he was old but took him so he could live out his life peacefully. I just did not expect it to be so soon to lose him [​IMG] . And while I was right there [​IMG] .

All in this week, my cousin lost his beloved dog to cancer, the neighbor's cat was crushed by a car in front of the house (that cat was not very friendly, but loved to skulk around the farm), and now Raspy. They are all buried now in my pet cemetery along with 22 other dogs and cats, 3 baby Buffs and 2 baby white rocks lost to Coccidiosis, and 1 RIR pullet lost to a predator.

Humans have been given increasing longer life spans throughout the years (medical technology, early detection, blah, blah blah) But still our animal friends continue to be taken which seems too soon for me. I know, I know. All of our numbers will be up sooner or later. I'm just so sad and this is how I'm feeling at this moment.

Fran Drescher (The Nanny) Said it best I think. I hope. Her dog had passed away. She eventually got another. And on some talk show I caught, she said that losing an animal is God's way of teaching humans that we can love again. Something like that.

I might be getting a bit crazy with this and I apologize. I have mourned my Mother, my Grandmother, and many animals, but I still get up every day loving the ones that are still in my life.

Thanks for listening.

2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I'm so sorry!!! [​IMG] I've had days like that. It's always hard to lose animals. I really do think you will see them again... somday. [​IMG]

3. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:Thank you so much for the hugs. I need them tonight and really appreciate it. I am an 'empty nester" and my animals mean so much to me. Getting my first chicks last March was one of the best things I could have done. They really keep me going every day.

Out of the 22 dogs and cats buried out back, quite a few were strays who just wondered onto the farm and decided to stay. Some passed from one sickness or another, but most from natural causes/old age. i did all I could for each and every one.

If I had the means, there would be no chicken, dog, cat, duck, cow, horse, pig, anybody.....that would be homeless or uncared for.

In my grief, I did forget to mention Buster in the list of deceased. He was a gift from my kids and was 'supposed' to be a pot belly pig.....guess what? he was a razorback and was one of the sweetest babies I ever had. The stories I could tell of his devotion! There was a death in my family and I was gone for a week. I had a "reliable" person looking after the animals, but when I returned, Buster was dead. [​IMG]

I want to feel a bit silly for how I am reacting, but my heart is hurting this evening and I prefer to feel justified in my grief instead.

Thank you again. Your wishes are so welcome.

4. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    You need another [​IMG]

5. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    And one more... [​IMG]

6. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Quote:Thank you so much for the hugs. I need them tonight and really appreciate it. I am an 'empty nester" and my animals mean so much to me. Getting my first chicks last March was one of the best things I could have done. They really keep me going every day.

Out of the 22 dogs and cats buried out back, quite a few were strays who just wondered onto the farm and decided to stay. Some passed from one sickness or another, but most from natural causes/old age. i did all I could for each and every one.

If I had the means, there would be no chicken, dog, cat, duck, cow, horse, pig, anybody.....that would be homeless or uncared for.

In my grief, I did forget to mention Buster in the list of deceased. He was a gift from my kids and was 'supposed' to be a pot belly pig.....guess what? he was a razorback and was one of the sweetest babies I ever had. The stories I could tell of his devotion! There was a death in my family and I was gone for a week. I had a "reliable" person looking after the animals, but when I returned, Buster was dead. [​IMG]

I want to feel a bit silly for how I am reacting, but my heart is hurting this evening and I prefer to feel justified in my grief instead.

Thank you again. Your wishes are so welcome.

I'm so sorry about your Buster! [​IMG] I've cried over lots of animals. Time heals all wounds. You have to have time to mourn. Tears are actually good for you. If you hide your tears, then that is very unhealthy.

Sending hugs to you and your animals! [​IMG]

7. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Thank you heather and Sunny! I needed those hugs! Badly.

And Red Rooster, time WILL heal as I have learned. Thank you for reminding me of that. I truly believe also that I will see all of my beloved animals again someday.....Again, thank you for reminding me of that as well.

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
  9. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:I have never read that. How comforting. I will treasure that all the rest of my days! Thank you. Thank you!

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I have never read that. How comforting. I will treasure that all the rest of my days! Thank you. Thank you!

Then I'm extra glad I shared it with you. [​IMG] It makes me cry every time I read it, but it's a comfort to think of my beloved pets waiting for me....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by