R.I.P to my ex batt Ginger

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
I have just went up now to put her spot on on because she had a heavy lice infestation. It was dark and windy so I decided to go get her out of the shed and take her to the food shed to put the stuff on. I left my phone standing up in the shed and I went to get Ginger. When I first opened the door I saw a hen straight a head with I thought was Ginger (it was Ruby) and then I looked down and saw what also looked like Ginger lying in the nest box. I went and got my phone and shined the torch through the shed and saw that it was Ginger in the nest box. She looked dead, but I could see her breathing. I walked around and lifted her head up and she was alive but I knew she was dying. I could see dead lice lying on top of her (I put some powder on yesterday so it must have worked) but I still put the spot on on her just to make her final moments more comfortable. I sat talking to her for ages and she had her eyes shut the hole time. During the 10 mins I was sitting with her she has 2 mini fit things. In the final moments I was holding her head stroking her and she opened her eyes for about 10 seconds but the she slowly started to close them. Once they had shut, she was gone. It was so sad because it looked like she was crying (which upset me). I'm kind of glad I was there with her even though it was horrible and I'm also glad that I give her lots of treats yesterday. I'm not sure if she was ill, if it was the lice or if it was just her age. She was a tough little thing so I will be annoyed if it was lice that killed her. I hope she had a good life with me, I had her since I was 9! I went to the battery farm to rescue her and she was coming up 8 this May, so she has done well for an ex batt. RIP Ginger :'(
1528481_10200338064493881_1171319308_n.jpg
1555509_10200338070454030_1269809410_n.jpg

1493177_10200338064133872_557354001_n.jpg

Johnn, you can only do what you can do. I lost my old ' red ' over Xmas. Old age! I made her comfortable and and put her in the sun to warm her old bones. That's the last of my battery hens . Like your girls , she was a tough old broad. I will always remember her with fondness in my heart.

Johnn, you can only do what you can do. I lost my old ' red ' over Xmas. Old age! I made her comfortable and and put her in the sun to warm her old bones. That's the last of my battery hens . Like your girls , she was a tough old broad. I will always remember her with fondness in my heart.
Aww RIP Red! Her and Ginger did so well. Ginger probably would have liked her because she was sad after her friends died because there was no mature hens left and the rest seemed to annoy her. I will probably rescue some more ex batts in summer depending on what the broodies do. I will never forget Ginger, I have had her from the start!

I'm so sorry about Ginger. You certainly cherished her, so she had a good life. It is sad that you have lost a few old-timers over the past year or so.
Thanks and I know! :( Rocky (9) & Babs (7) in 2013 and now Ginger. Them 3 were so painful to loose because I have had them for such a long time.

I'm so sorry, Johnn! I'm sure she had a wonderful life with you, running around in your beautiful green fields. You did a wonderful thing by saving her. Battery hens are expected usually to live to 1 year, but by saving her she was able to live to be 8! I know it's so hard to lose her, but at least you know you did a job well done.
smile.png
hugs.gif

I am so sorry about your hen. You gave her a second chance at life and just by looking at the pictures or her, she truly appreciated your love. Don't feel bad in the least. You gave her life and she repayed with love. And I am sure at the time of her passing, she was grateful you were there.

Many many hugs to you John...
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry, Johnn! I'm sure she had a wonderful life with you, running around in your beautiful green fields. You did a wonderful thing by saving her. Battery hens are expected usually to live to 1 year, but by saving her she was able to live to be 8! I know it's so hard to lose her, but at least you know you did a job well done.
smile.png
hugs.gif

I am so sorry about your hen. You gave her a second chance at life and just by looking at the pictures or her, she truly appreciated your love. Don't feel bad in the least. You gave her life and she repayed with love. And I am sure at the time of her passing, she was grateful you were there.

Many many hugs to you John...
hugs.gif
Thanks both of you for your kind words :)

Back
Top Bottom