R.I. Red 6 month old squawking endlessly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by VentiCordi, Nov 9, 2016.

1. VentiCordi

VentiCordi Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    We have 7 laying hens, all 5 months 3 weeks old here in Maine. None of them have begun to lay yet, but we understand that can be normal with the shortened days. Recently one of the Rhode Island Reds has begun to squawk as if in distress, though she shows no signs of lethargy or any particular illness. There are also no predators or other issues that are causing any of the other hens to react. We are newbies at this and would appreciate any thoughts if you are familiar with this behavior. Could she possibly be getting ready to lay?
    Many thanks!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    An increase in vocalizations is frequently observed in birds approaching production so that may be the case for your bird. Another thing to consider is your reaction when you hear the hen go into her act -- do you go out to see what is wrong, do you take treats with you when you do, etc -- in some cases we inadvertently train our charges to do things like excessive vocalizing because we create a cause/effect relationship in their mind of vocalize and get x, y or z reaction.

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Grey Mare has pretty much nailed down the causes for extreme vocalization.

I have several layers who are extremely noisy just prior to their finally climbing into a nest box to lay an egg. I can be heard telling them, "For godsakes, just go lay your egg already, pleeeeeze!" When they do climb into a nest, they settle down and are perfectly quiet until after the egg is laid, then they get vocal again, tooting their horn about their accomplishment.

By the way, a sick or injured chicken is mute. They are stationary, not moving around, and are completely silent. Not at all like many of us humans who complain loudly when we're sick or in pain.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  4. VentiCordi

VentiCordi Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    Thank you! We're loving this website and the forums.
    When checking on our sqawker no treats are given, but we do talk to her and fuss over her a bit and maybe that is doing some of the inadvertent training you mentioned. Will try monitoring her with less attention. Hope an egg comes soon, for her sake as well as ours. :>)

5. VentiCordi

VentiCordi Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    Thank you! Our squawker definitely seems healthy in every other way; she can fly up to the rafters of the coop and has plenty of energy. Hoping she's just aching to get an egg out.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    OhGawdYes!!...the POL Cacophonous Chorus!!!

Got your nests ready?.....any fooling around in there going on?
    Along with making a racket all day long, they will often try to dig thru the bottom of the nests for days before laying.
    After they lay a few that nest messing slows way down, tho the noise might not.

Best of cLuck to you!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have already been let know, all that squawking is cause for celebration. [​IMG] Eggs are coming! Usually within about a month for me.

Congrats. [​IMG]

8. VentiCordi

VentiCordi Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    Thanks to all for the supportive advice! First egg(s) have arrived and we are much relieved. Now if only the others will get the hint :>) Photo below is of the proud but confused hen and her wee egg.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Woohoo! [​IMG]

She looks proud indeed. [​IMG]

Sometimes my girls try to hide their nest if they see come and taking the eggs. So I do it on the down low, now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by