R these 2 broilers girls?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Kotiya, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Kotiya

Kotiya In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    Two more that I need to make sure these r girls for a 4H meat bird pen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    what age are they? that looks like a cockerel to me... but i guess i haven't seen your other ladies or boys for comparison.

3. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    They both look like pullets to me. How old are they? It would also be better to photograph the birds standing up so we could more easily see the tail feathers etc. It looks like you're displaying their legs for us and I'm not sure that helps to determine gender. If there is a leg/gender relationship, please fill me in [​IMG]

The combs of Males are much larger than those in the pictures as long as the birds are ~ 8 weeks give or take. The waddles are also pretty small compared to a cockerel CX waddle.

Dan

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. Kotiya

Kotiya In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    I included the legs in the photo so I could remember they were the two banded purple. We have different colors for different sets of birds.

BTW - they are about 6 wks old

5. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Hey,

I saw your other post with the photos of all three birds. That in conjunction with the 6 week age makes me alter my response. I think these two are cockerels. How long until the 4H? Do you have other meaties to choose from or did you just get three?

Dan

6. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Songster

May 17, 2010
    roos

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Whatever they are, you need to get them cleaned up. Filth like that on the first bird is an immediate disqualification.

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Ouch, filth is a pretty strong word, especially for 4-H KIDS.
    Chickens get dirty, especially meaties, but I am sure your leader will explain how to get them into show condition.
    To answer the question I agree with Winsorwoods after looking at both pics I would say those are boys.

9. Kotiya

Kotiya In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    We had them weighed in today and they all turned out to be boys! We had them all bathed to remove the nasty stuff, but they'll probably get another one before the judging on tuesday. Thanks for all your help!

10. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    good luck at the fair!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by