Rabbit acting "frisky"

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickenmaven, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I am a first time bunny owner. Need to know about "normal" behavior.

Bought a mini-rex several weeks ago. She is about 8 months old. She seemed pretty shy at first (of course, I have no prior bunny experience). She has gone from not wanting to be picked up to cuddling our necks. She is caged most of the time, but out of the cage, she has gone from skulking around the edges of the room to alternately leaping and laying down next to me, very relaxed. Progress!

Here's my issue/question: Is it weird for her to hump my hand? She did that today. I reached out my hand to pet her & she put her paws around my wrist and humpa-humpa. DD said, "They lied! She's a boy!"

Is she a boy??????? Should we get her a mate?

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Congrats on the new bunny! She could be a boy-people make mistakes with sexing all the time. It's great that she/he is warming up to you (well not the humping part). I would not suggest a mate unless you are an experienced breeder. Mini breeds are known to have pregnancy/birth complications, and you should have some good knowledge about possibilities before you breed. You could try sexing her/him yourself, or look for a local breeder to help you.

3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    "if" it's a boy surprise, you can have them neutered.

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    [​IMG]

And true-then you could get a female companion [​IMG]

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Is you're bunny spayed/neutered? You should definitely do that, if not. Makes them stay sweet.

6. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes girl bun buns do it too!

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:Yes, I did mean to say this in my original response. Females do it too!

8. Felicia

Felicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    My old doe used to do that to my buck. [​IMG] He would get really confused on what was going on.

9. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Okay! That makes sense & since I am sooo NICE, it makes sense that she'd humpa-humpa ME! [​IMG]

10. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    If "she" is 8 months old flip her over and take a look. At this age rabbits are very easy to sex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by