RABBIT ADVICE NEEDED 911 !!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by OPIE, Apr 6, 2009.

1. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    My son just came in and said "dad, why is our doe all bloody?" I ran outside and much to my surprise there are 10 lil bunnies in her nesting box. [​IMG] Its cold here right now, supposed to get down to 28 tonight then start warming back up. She put very little fur in the box and was not in there when I saw them. I went out with some rags and put them in the box. WHat do I do now. What sjould I have put in as far as a bedding [​IMG] Uh, this caught me off guard big time! [​IMG]

2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    put some straw in the nest box

3. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Is there any way you can bring them in the house or inside building such as a garage, barn ect.

4. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    get a heat lamp to and try to put some big pvc pipe over the cord to keep her from eating it

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Going by the one doe that I had growing up, don't put the heat lamp right over the little ones.-She kept covering them with her water dish. Put it just off to the side.

Oh, she will only feed them once or twice a day so don't be surpised if she doesn't stay in there with them like a momma cat or dog.

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    heat lamp is a good idea but DON"T put it anywhere the momma might get to it. She wil chew the cord. And not too close either. If it is getting colder, momma will probably pull more fur. She knows what she is doing.

I have babes here too, and it is colder today, and momma has pulled more fur since yesterday.

7. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Is she a first time mother?
    if not wait her out she will pull more fur as the night progresses,
    Or you can tug out a little from her skirt, *( around her hips) and some from her tummy to cover the babys. I wouldnt suggest a heat lamp though, way too dangerous and if not positioned correctly wll in fact cook the babys you are trying to save from freezing.

Take out the cloth as the mother will only pull on it and chew it.
    If you are nervous about her not covering them bring them inside and cover the nest with a hand towel , bring the mother in to the babys to feed , not the babys to her.( they can chill in 90 degree weather)

8. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    When it's very cold, we'll sometimes bring out babies in overnight and then leave them with mom during the day. Does are usually excellent mothers, so don't worry too much.

9. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    I have a bale of brome hay here can I put that in there instead of straw and the rags? Will she abandon or hurt them if I mess with them to much?

10. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Brome hay will be fine. Unless she's really upset with you or she's just a bad mother, she won't abandon her kits due to you touching them. We handle out babies from the first day, no problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by