1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit alfalfa pellets for chickens? good or bad.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sissy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Is it ok to feed alfalfa rabbit pellets to my flock in place of greens as a different treat once in a while,
    or will it harm them?

2. lambchick

lambchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Nebraska
    I too was wondering about alfalfa-but I'd be using it either fresh or dried, straight from the field. Sorry, I hope I'm not hijacking your post.

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I've never fed alfalfa pellets, but know of others who use them as a Winter substitute for greens.

We do layer our coop floors with hay - grass hay or alfalfa hay. The chickens have quite a good time scratching all through it, finding tender blades, seed heads (in grass hay) etc.

4. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    My chickens just love alfalfa..I buy at feed store bale of it..

5. chickenchalupa

chickenchalupa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    I heard that alfalfa pellets replace summer grass and greens in the winter resulting in rich yolks.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I've been feeding rabbit pellets to my chickens this winter. They love the pellets. I thought about getting the loose alfalfa leaves in a bag. Alfalfa cubes are much easier to find but I don't think they could eat those.

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I 've done that too. They really like the pellets. But someone told me or I read it somewhere that the rabbit pellets contained alot of salt. That the rabbit pellets were bad for the birds. I guess in moderation would be fine. Just like everything else. They really enjoy the change.

8. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    I give mine some about once a week but not every day! I dont give much either

9. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I will have to first say I am wierd and admit it. But I usually "taste" what I am feeding my pets. Dog or cat kibble, bird pellet, rabbit pellet - I have tried them all. Never tried dog or cat moist food, not sure why? LOL

But, having said that, I know the rabbit pellet is really salty to taste. But having nibbled dried alfalfa - before it goes in for the rabbit - it is salty too.

Just saying...I am a bit strange, I know.

I might give the DelightfulDozen some dried alfalfa to mess with, but probably not the rabbit pellets because it seemed so salty.

10. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    I think its great that you nibble on the kibble first, [​IMG] i never thought to do that. you know what, i wouldn't know why i would do that. why do you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by