Rabbit Breed Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lexi01, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Lexi01

Lexi01 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Utah
    Does anyone know what breed this is? I got her for free, they said she was 4 months but was pretty big for that. I'm assuming she's about 8 months now, kinda looks like the wild rabbits around here? I don't have a scale but would guess about 4 pounds? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Flemish Giant maybe? I had one that looked right like that and it would explain the size. Hope this helps!

3. Lexi01

Aug 4, 2014
    Utah
    She's a little small compared to my friends Rex's if that helps?

4. SternRose

SternRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Training my dogs
    My Coop
    Flemishs giant....... hummmmm, mine did look like that... He didnt get large until 1yr6monyhs. I think maybe sooner. Do u have the breeders #? You could always just ask them. Also you could see the parents.

5. SternRose

Mar 23, 2014
    Training my dogs
    My Coop
    Maybe a Rex/Flemish cross?

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I think you can safely rule out Flemish. With an adult weight in excess of 13 lbs, a Flemish Giant would not weigh only 4 lbs at 8 months of age. Besides, there really isn't anything about this rabbit that suggests Flemish.

IDK why Rex is coming up, either, since she clearly does not have a Rex coat.

This rabbit is Chinchilla colored. The smallest of the Chinchilla breeds, the Standard Chin, matures around 6 lbs. That's a bit bigger than this rabbit, but it's a lot likelier than Flemish as the source of that color. Of course, Mini Rex come in Chinchilla, though it's not a real common color for them and, as I said, this rabbit doesn't have a Rex coat.[​IMG]

7. SternRose

Mar 23, 2014
    Training my dogs
    My Coop
    My Flemish/newzealnd buck weighed about 61/2lbs at 6months when he died he weighed about 15lbs. This rabbit IS A CROSS. That I know. And those ears remind me of a Flemish. Maybe a little satin in her. I'm think 2 or 3 breeds in this bunnie.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  8. Lexi01

Aug 4, 2014
    Utah
    They never texted me back or answered when I tried

9. SternRose

Mar 23, 2014
    Training my dogs
    My Coop
    That makes me wonder

10. Lexi01

Aug 4, 2014
    Utah
    She was way sketchy and nervous at first kind of like a wild rabbit (we have grey ones in the area) so it made is wonder if they caught her and ended up not wanting her ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by