1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit breeder thread

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by guineagirl23, Nov 30, 2013.

1. guineagirl23

guineagirl23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    arkansas
    I created this thread for you guys to post pics of your rabbits and to ask any questions you need to know. To start out, I have 5. Four New Zealand and one Flemish Giant.

2. Domd28

Domd28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Cabot, AR
    This one of our bucks he has a decent life I would presume, since he gets to forage around on leaves and roots. We let him out every morning. The cage does have a roof, I just didn't have it built and attached at the time of this picture.
    [​IMG]

This is when they were less than 4mos old, we kept them together for a little while. It was also a hot day, had to give them some frozen water to cool off near. The brown on in the back of the photo is our buck. The other brown one is a female along with one of the white. The other white turned out to be a male and was removed since fighting was a constant. Our white female gave birth to 5 kits the brown female did the same, although I have no pictures of her kits. Now the females are all separate due to birthing.
    [​IMG]
    5 kits from the White female. Born November 21, 2013. Brown kits were born the next night November 22.
    [​IMG]
    I handmade the cages, due to store price and sizes we were wanting. The main cage is 8'L x 4' W, we are going to partition it off into 1/4, after the kits grow a little more. (Now that I think about it 1/4 might be to narrow). We are also considering adding to the cage on the ground level for an exercise run.

3. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    We finally finished our chicken run yesterday and we go to let the chickens out this morning and low and behold there was a wild baby bunny in the run. We have the run predator proofed so we must have enclosed the bunny when we finished the hardware cloth. Wondering what we should do with it? It was easy to catch and unsure if the rest of the family is under the coop and now can't get out of the run or if this was the only one? Do we care for it or set it free? We are going to go get a haveaheart live trap to use tonight in the run once the chickens are shut in the coop.

Thank you for any and all assistance!

~ Nicole

4. guineagirl23

Sep 25, 2013
    arkansas
    The best thing to do would be to set it free where you found it if it's eyes are open. Sorry for the late reply!

5. guineagirl23

Sep 25, 2013
    arkansas
    I can't add pics, but I have a broken black doe, broken chestnut doe, broken red buck and blue buck in my NZ herd.

6. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx

Unfortunately the rabbit deteriorated quickly so we found a rehabilitation center for it. We couldn't put it back as our dog is a hunter. She actually caught an adult rabbit today :(. Thank you for your help though.

7. guineagirl23

Sep 25, 2013
    arkansas

Well it's good you found a place for it! I understand the hunter part because our dogs are always bringing things home too. Kit that are bottle fed usually don't make it as it's very easy to choke them

8. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    The lady we brought it to was going to give it iv fluids and she specialized in rabbits. I do but I don't want to know if it survived :)

9. guineagirl23

Sep 25, 2013
    arkansas
    Yep. That's always the hard part!

10. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    Well, I have about 10 breeders right now and have been breeding for about a year... Owned rabbits for over five years in a pet and pet care situations. I mostly keep New Zealand Whites, but I also have some other breeds including a giant mix, standard rex and mini lop. :3

We had a couple of litters recently and they are just starting to open their eyes. Very exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by