Rabbit Breeders Buck #3 is now home.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bossynbella, Jun 7, 2011.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I have a very nice black otter mini rex doe, have been looking for a broken black otter or broken black buck to go with her. Finally found someone and they are close by, they have three available. I would really prefer a broken so I would get more variety with the litter but I want the one with the best conformation, I know which one I like the best, but I am not sure it is the best so I will post the pics she sent me of all three, let me know which one you feel looks the best conformation wise. All three have pedigrees.
    I am not sure which of the broken ones is the black otter? So if someone could point that out as well that would be great.

Solid Black buck
    [​IMG]

broken buck #1
    [​IMG]
    Broken buck #2
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

From what I can tell of pics online they are both broken black otter.

3. BCBunnies

BCBunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Looks like the pic of the second buck (pic of the top broken buck) is the black otter. He has the lighter ring around his eye and appears to have a the lighter coloration around his nose and mouth as well as the distinct edging on his ears to indicate the color. I would definately speak with the breeder though to make sure which one is which. Also as far as picking a buck if I had a choice of these three I woulld go with the bottom buck the one labeled broken buck 2. I like his overall type better and his markings as well, he also seems to have a nice friendly attitude about being handled from the picture, not saying he is definately an easy handle rabbit he just appears to be from what I can tell. Definately go over and get your hands on each of them to feel for condition and check out how much you can handle each one. I've chosen rabbits with slightly lesser type over nice looking highly aggressive rabbits before just a preferance because I have a small child who helps me with the rabbits. And good luck buck hunting! Also we'd love pics of the rabbit you already have posted as well.

4. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    I like the the third one. He is sitting in good bunny style and I love his markings. I love lots of color.in birds and poultry. Don't really care for solid dark colored ones. You will proably get several solid dark ones from the otter doe.

5. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Thank you, You both picked the same one I wanted. I will of course put my hands on them and make sure they are freindly. I finally found a picture of my otter doe, she has like four names, I wanted to call her Moon, Husband kept calling her spiderman because of how sleek she looks and so I said lets call her Mary Jane (spider mans girlfriend) but he doesn't like the connotation to an illegal drug that is called that. So he calls her spider man's girlfriend and I just call her moon, her name on the pedigree is Smith's Nightmares, because her mother was Skull's Dream, and I liked the way it sounded.

Not the best picture, I need one of her set up, she sets up so nice, I would like to show her sometime this fall. She has a really nice plush coat as well, and last year when we bred her to our chinchilla mini rex buck (he passed away, and I learned you are only suppose to breed certain colors of mini rex together) she was an awesome mom.
    [​IMG]

6. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    In MR we work with otter & broken otter. If I had to choose between these three ... It would be the second broken buck, easily. From the pictures. But, the coat texture is very important. Plus conditioning of the body. Best of luck ...

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Glad to see I'm doing better at this since I was also going to say the second broken buck.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:LOL!!! Better than I am apparently!

9. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    im still a very basic beginner in bunnies, but honestly just off the bat, i prefer buck #2, i like his markins and his stance better [​IMG]

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:I think though once he is sitting he will smooth out with nothing sticking out. I like the markings on both. It's hard for me when I only see one position.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by