rabbit breeding question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by embkm, Nov 4, 2009.

1. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    How soon can a rabbit get pregnant again after giving birth? I found 5 dead baby bunnies on the floor of the cage with my supposedly all female rabbits. Well... I found out which one is the boy and they are all seperated now. My question is how soon after giving birth can she get pregnant again? I don't want any more surprises... should I just put a nest box in when it is time?, or does it take more than a few hours for them to be able to mate again? There was about a 12 hour window (max) between birth of the babies and when I seperated them.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Honey they can get pregnant right away after giving birth...I'm sorry about your losses.

Take care and hope this was helpful.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    So sorry about your losses. Yes they can get pregnant right away. Mark 28 days on your calendar and put a nest box in there just in case.
    Sharon

4. embkm

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Thanks Bargain and Sands. That is what I needed to know. I'll be better prepared next time. BYC people rock!

5. lilwhispers

lilwhispers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Idaho
    You said there were other females in the same cage? I would palpate them now and again in 10 - 12 days to see if anyone else is pregnant if one was there is a VERY high probability the others are as well. I used to raise rabbits for 4-H for years. My cousin did also he would sell his to a local butcher, and I butchered my own,but the butcher would not buy them if they were over 5 pounds. In such a case my cousin would bring them to me to butcher. The first female that I butchered of his was pregnant. I had no Idea UNTIL I was gutting her and found the babies. I finished what I was doing with that one and then palpated each of the remaining females right then and then again in 10 days any that were pregnant were kept and allowed to become breeders the others continued on there preapproved path.

6. embkm

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Yes, there was one other female in there. I felt to see if I could tell if she was pregnant. I didn't feel anything, but will be keeping a close eye on her. I really hope not since she is only about half the size of the male. I have called the vet just in case, and she is prepared to do a c-section if necessary.

7. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Id be careful about the c section. Not a lot of rabbits can handle going under the knife like that. Make sure the vet is good with them, and won't accidentally kill her. And since you aren't experienced at breeding, there is no way you'd be able to puplate(feel) for babies. get them all in their own cages, and give them some nest boxes just in case you have more on the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by