1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit Breeding, When do the does show?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by obsessed, Dec 27, 2008.

1. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    So I breed my two does three Saturdays ago (21 days). These are NZ. I put them in the boys cage, saw the dance and then he fell off. So I think it was done. I then removed them and put them back in their own cage.
    When do they show? Shouldn't we start seeing some swollen bellies by now?

I tried feeling their tummies but I don't "feel" anything. So do I wait?

2. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    Due to the arch of their skeleton they really don't "show" like other mammals. Palpation is possible by the experienced, but I just have to go with the wait and see method.

<-- raises meat satins.

3. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    We raise and show mini rex, netherland dwarfs, flemish giants, and lion heads. I can never tell when they're showing until the last week, if then. I agree, the wait and see method works best for me. I have never been good at palpation. Just give the nest box at 28 days. I always give mine a few extra days to kindle, but after that go ahead and try to rebreed them.

4. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    Ok thanks. I will wait and see. This is so hard. When I got the bunnies they were supposed to have been bred to a different buck. but I waited and watied and nothing. So then I rebreed and now more waiting. These meat rabbits have to start producing or else

5. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    My flemish are harder to breed than my dwarf breeds. I'm assuming it's because they're so big. I've tried to palapate, or even feel babies moving, to no avail. The waiting is the worst! I'm always breeding my mini rex at shows to very good bucks, but then I have to wait. If it didn't take it might be two months before I can rebreed, depending on who I bred them to.

6. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    wait at least 31 days my nz had her babys on day 30

7. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    Wait and see method is the best. You should give the nest box at day 27 so they can prepare. They kindle at 28-32 days. HTH. ( I've been breeding for 8 years).

8. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    i had my califorian doe breed and she didn;t show until we found the babies in the nest but we also thought that it was a false pregnacy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by