Rabbit buck too old to breed?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was hoping to buy a pedigreed jersey wooly doe to breed with my jersey wooly buck this summer. The breeder I got my little guy from keeps offering me these beautiful females and I've already had to turn a one of them down! However, my buck is probably about three years old now, and the breeder mentioned that he may not breed since he has never been bred before. Is there still a chance he will breed a female? Will I have to get another buck? I love the breed, but I'm not sure I want to have TWO bucks and one female. However, getting rid of my older buck is not an option, as he is a loved pet!

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd try your good ol' buck first, and see if he will or not first before crossing that desicion making bridge [​IMG] I don't know about rabbits, but I used to breed rats and males were pretty much always able to do their job, even when they were ancient. [​IMG]

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Bucks are kinda like-- NEVER too old to breed!!! They'll die trying more likely!! And 3 years old isn't really too old in bucks anyway. . . . He might lack finesse-- but betcha he'll catch on REAL fast!! ;D

4. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    I think it will work im sure.

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    3 years old is not too old to breed,but since he hasnt bred before, it may take an attempt or 2, but if you have enough patince you will end up with babies from him.
    When I raised rabbits for FFA, my main buck was a 5 year old male, he had no problem mating with the females and I always ended up with some very nice babies.
    When it time to breed,take the doe to the bucks cage. To ensure they mated, I usually leave the doe in the cage overnight,which in your case might be wise to do too.

Good luck

6. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    He will breed with out a doubt. He has testosterone, breeding is all that is on his mind except during supper time. Then it is only halfway there [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by