1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit cages for quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Cheeky Chick, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Cheeky Chick

Cheeky Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I just hatched my first batch of pharaohs, and will also be ordering some A&M's. I am also going to be keeping the quail on my enclosed side porch aka mudroom, for much of the year.

I was first looking at hutches and the like, but I've settled on Rabbit cages.

This:
    http://www.martinscages.com/images/full/d-250.jpg

and This:
    http://www.martinscages.com/images/full/e-120.jpg

Several of each, with slight mods to the flooring (they come disassembled, so that's no problem) so it's slightly tilted, and with the slide out tray-clean up is easy.

Any other ideas before I order them? Mods that I can do to make them better?

2. Cheeky Chick

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Any comments? Suggestions?

3. marksouth

marksouth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    I wouldn't suggest any cage with wire larger than 1 x 1. I had a preditor reach in and pull a bird through one bit at a time. But I'm in the woods with lots of racoons, owls hawks etc. A snake could get in easily also

4. Cheeky Chick

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Boor bird! We have loads of raccoons and foxes, but this is an inside cage-for my enclosed porch (like a mudroom off of my house-predator safe)

Otherwise, do you think the cages will work for jumbo pharaohs?

5. marksouth

marksouth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    In my opinion it would be great. Good luck

6. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I have some almost identical (older ones) and they work great for my coturnix
    [​IMG]

7. Cheeky Chick

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Fantastic! I'm ordering several, and my little ones are a week old and just getting their wing feathers and little tails. So by the time they're ready, the cages will be set up and ready. Do you use rabbit lixit bottles or the little drinking wells?

8. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I have some on bottles and some on wells.....I havent trained any young ones on bottles, only older adults, and it takes a few days....they have to get pretty thirsty, every few hours I go out and squeeze the bottle so it dribbles and they are attracted to that once they are thirsty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by