Rabbit cages good size?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Chickhick, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Hi. I'm planning on getting some Coturnix quail hatching eggs soon and I want to use some empty rabbit cages for housing them in the barn. The cages are 24" X 30" and 18" high. There are 4 of these connected and I am going to hang them from the rafters against one wall with chains.

2 questions:

#1 -- Is this size big enough to have a male and 3 or 4 females in each compartment?

#2 -- These cages have 2 doors for each compartment... 1 on top to reach down into the cage from the top, and 1 on the front like traditional front opening cages.

Should I hang the cages low enough to reach in from the top, or will this freak out the quail to have hands coming down from above? [​IMG] The cages are 30" deep, so it is easier to reach all the way to the back from the top door. I'm not sure how skittish they will be and if they will run to the back of the cages to escape from me. Also I will be housing chicks in that area of the barn, so I might need it high enough that they don't perch on the cages. [​IMG]

How high up should I hang these cages?

Thanks!!!

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Rabbit cages are fine for Coturnix. 1 square foot of space for each bird is the rule of thumb ...you're safe with 1 m/4f to a cage.
    you do NOT want to have chickens/poultry with your quail as the chickens may be carriers of a disease that the quail have no defense against. There's a post on here somewhere that has photos of what has happened to other members' quail when exposed to poultry issues. And if you do handle chicken/poultry stuff and birds be sure to sanitize hands and etc before messing with the quail
    Also, since quail are prey birds they don't like anything coming at them from above.
    hope this helps.
    .They need GameBird feed..unmedicated.. and a 22-28% protein diet.
    hope this helps

4. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Thanks for the responses! [​IMG] I guess I'll close off the quail pen from the chickens' access. And then I'll hang the cages relatively low. Since there won't be chickens in there I won't have to worry about them roosting on the cages.[​IMG]

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

just hang them at a level that's most accessible and comfortable for you...

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    My birds do freak out much less if I reach in from a side than from above. Your mileage may vary... [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I AGREE COMPLETELY! ALSO AS A CAVEAT TOP OPENING CAGES WITH GAMEBIRDS- BAD JUJU... THEY LIKE TO FLUSH WHEN SPOOKED AND WILL LOVE THE LACK OF CEILING WHEN YOUR CAGES ARE OPEN, THEY WILL FLUSH IN YOIUR FACE AND GO RIGHT BY YOU LIKE YOU WERENT EVEN THERE, THEN THE RACE IS ON TO CONTAIN AND RE-CAPTURE

8. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Oh crap. You just reminded me. I let one of my boys out to sandbathe when I was in the basement and never put him back in his cage. Must go do the quail capture after I finish eating my supper. There is no telling where he is down there now...

9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Oh crap. You just reminded me. I let one of my boys out to sandbathe when I was in the basement and never put him back in his cage. Must go do the quail capture after I finish eating my supper. There is no telling where he is down there now...

[​IMG] That's funny right there!!!!

10. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010

[​IMG] That's funny right there!!!!

LOL I keep a sweater box of sand down there. He's kind of a favorite and gets more time out of his cage than the others. I try to let all of 7 bachelors out every couple of days to sandbathe for 15-20 minutes. They are spoiled pets...

This one has the routine down so well that sometimes he hops back into the cage when he is done.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by