Rabbit Care help!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Nov 4, 2010.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am thinking about getting a rabbit, and I don't know how to care for one, what do you guys recomend? I need info on dwarf hotot rabbits.
    Thanks!!! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Lots of resources on the net on how to properly care for a rabbit. Start with the House Rabbit Society - http://www.rabbit.org/

3. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Um....this is not exactly a HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kind of thing. Please change your title. I thought your horse was bleeding to death or something like that.

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    What food is the best?

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:They need water 24/7 and timothy hay is the best food for them. They should also get some pellets in the evenings.

6. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ok!!! What are the best pellets?

7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:You should go to your feed store and ask them. When I had rabbits, the feedstore had a local brand that was really good.

8. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Why don't you buy a book at a book store or pet shop? There are plenty of rabbit books at the library too.

Best with rabbits, to do as your first thing, find a vet that knows about rabbits. The best thing is if the vet actually is an 'exotic pet' vet. Yes, rabbits are an 'exotic animal'. The only animals most small animal vets know is dogs and cats. Ask me why my rabbit died - because I was stupid enough to think a vet who didn't specialize in exotic animals would know about them. The first vet was sure willing to treat my rabbit and insisted he knew about them. If I'd gotten to the right vet at the start, the bunny would still be alive today.

That is really the most important thing and something to do WELL BEFORE getting the rabbit. GET A VET. Find a rabbit club or group in your area, ask for a personal recommendation for a vet. Meet other bunny owners at rabbit shows, visit rabbit breeders, go up to people, ask.

Then the rest of it is not so hard. A nice big cage, pellets, hay, clean bedding, fresh water...those are the basics.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Can any one give me info on Netherland Dwarf rabbits?

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Google google google .. there is a TON of info out there..

Also, look up local breeders and go talk to them .. attend a show if you can ..

Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by