1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rabbit copulating with chicken.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kneeco86, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Kneeco86

Kneeco86 New Egg

Nov 13, 2012
    so ya. that's happening. it hasn't been a problem until recently when he seems to have really gotten "serious" with one of the chickens in particular. he's literally plucked her feathers out on both sides of her back. it doesn't seem infected, just bald.

what should i do? they've been together since we brought the chicks home and i'm pretty sure they've just become a mixed-species family (lol) so separating them isn't really an option. they travel as a weird flock. is there something i can put on her to make him stop? when i lock them in the coup, he just burrows in to be with them. is it fine for a chicken to be bald as long as it isn't infected? she's just so sad looking!

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    My house rabbit starting going after my cat. Cat was traumatized. I finally had to get the rabbit fixed. After that he left the cat alone.

1 person likes this.
  3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Snip snip time [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    If it is a chocolate rabbit would she lay chocolate Easter eggs? Sorry, I just had to ask. Maybe the bunny is trying to tell you something. Have you though about getting another rabbit?

1 person likes this.
  5. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a male rabbit in with my birds. He hasnt seemed to be interested in mating with them. Perhaps I just havent noticed? Anyhow--he seems to keep the little chicks warm....TerriO

1 person likes this.
  6. Kneeco86

Kneeco86 New Egg

Nov 13, 2012
    Oh my gosh! You are so right. I have no idea why neutering him hadn't even crossed my mind. Looks like I'll be making an appt for him at the vet next week! Thanks everyone :)

@chickengeorgeto-- yep! Cadbury! I'm not sure i want to ask what the filing is tho...

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope that your hen won't be heart broken. [​IMG]

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by