Rabbit Doe breed???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kitty22496, Nov 13, 2016.

1. kitty22496

kitty22496 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the quality. It's night time and she's in a temporary cage.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Perhaps an English Spot. If you really want a better idea, drop a PM to bunnylady.

3. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    She looks to bulky to be an English spot. How much does she weigh? What does her fur feel like?

4. kitty22496

May 3, 2016

Her fur is about an inch long, very smooth and flys back to place when u pet her backwards.

She weighs about 6-8 pounds

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Her color is called a broken black; lots of breeds carry the genetics to produce a broken black. At 6 - 8 pounds, she's a bit undersized to be a New Zealand, which she sort of resembles; my guess is a mix.

6. kitty22496

May 3, 2016

I'm guessing with the weight. My scale is broken.
    She's bigger than a 2 liter of pop.

7. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    Did you get her from a breeder? The breeder should know the breed. If you did not get her from a breeder, or you got her from a sort of "chop suey" breeder, no way of knowing.

When rabbit people raise rabbits they keep track of which buck bred which doe and they keep breeds separate from each other. But, there are people who simply don't care and will put any buck in with any doe. If that is the sort of "breeder" you got her from, no one will ever have any idea.

In the meantime that is a nice color and she looks like a pretty doe.

If you are actually interested in breeding rabbits to standard and keeping the breeds separate, I would suggest to find a breeder that breeds your particular favorite rabbit and get stock from them. If on the other hand you only want a pet, well, this one looks like a pretty nice pet and I'm sure she would make you happy. If she is a pet, it does not matter what breed she is.

8. kitty22496

May 3, 2016

I got her from an auction.
    Also I keep track of the breeds of all my animals even if they are pets. Most breeds of any animal require different care.

You shouldnt feed a small game hen the same amount as a large laying hen.
    It also helps knowing the breeds when going to a vet. I keep a journal of all my animals.

9. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    @kitty22496 : Since you have no idea of the background there really is no way to guess the breed, especially with no weight. Are there shows in your area? You could try asking a judge, who would be able to see her in person. Aside from that I think you just have a very nice pet rabbit that's a pretty color.

10. kitty22496

May 3, 2016

There is a lady who raises and breeds rabbits she saw her today and said I have a broken New Zealand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by