1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit feed for chickens to suplement greens ....is it ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jm93030, Dec 3, 2011.

1. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Most of my chickens are seramas and they are caged most of the time, the grass in my backyard is not growing enough.

Is it ok to give them rabbit feed to suplement lack og greens?

Thank you guys

any other idea is welcome

2. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

How about some daily veggies? Leftover salad, grated carrots, swiss chard, broccoli, whatever is in the fridge? Since it is almost winter here, I have been picking up extra veggies at the supermarket so they can have something green. I almost picked up some pea sprouts for them, but I didn't want hubby to think I was spoiling the girls too much [​IMG]
    We have nothing green left in the yard except for some parsley that the deer have been munching on.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Alfalfa pellets would be fine to give to them. If they will eat it. Mine won't.

You could try a bale of grass hay and give them a bit. Maybe soak it first.

4. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:+1. When you have chickens, there is no such thing as veggie waste. [​IMG]

To the OP: rabbit feed would be okay (look at the ingredients), but they may or may not eat it. You could pick up a small bag and experiment.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I've tried adding rabbit pellets and alfalfa pellets on separate feeding times and they hated it. They did not even touch it. [​IMG]

6. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:Bet they'll do wonders for the compost pile, though!

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I "hide" the alfalfa pellets (re-constituted by soaking in water) in their layer mash. They won't eat them as hard pellets, nor re-constituted by themselves. Kinda like a kid with broccoli or spinach, you got hide them in lasagna. I mix the alfalfa into their mash and they eat it fine. Got to sneak in those greens. [​IMG]

8. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Thank you guys for the ideas

I will try to keep more vegies at home

and soak some pellets in watter to test them

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Fred's Hens :

I "hide" the alfalfa pellets (re-constituted by soaking in water) in their layer mash. They won't eat them as hard pellets, nor re-constituted by themselves. Kinda like a kid with broccoli or spinach, you got hide them in lasagna. I mix the alfalfa into their mash and they eat it fine. Got to sneak in those greens. [​IMG]

I'm going to try that. Thanks for the tip. [​IMG]

10. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    My rabbits spill a little from their cages. The rabbits are next to the coops. During free range time, the chickens go under the coops to pick up what ever the rabbits drop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by