1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit Fever

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lyric, Sep 16, 2011.

1. lyric

lyric Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Sunny FL
    We're doing due diligence research now for our rabbit family hopefully to be started no later than January. I want pet quality wool rabbits for spinning and all around pet companionship. I've learned here that it may be best to get two rabbits (and I should plan on interacting with my babies a lot so they will be used to human interaction). Now, what I want to know is if a mix of Holland Lop and Giant Angora is okay or is it when they say get two rabbits do they need to be same breed? Some pros here seem to think Holland Lop is a good first rabbit pet.

When pet quality rabbits are purchased are they fixed? We do not want ours to be fixed.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I've been reading that rabbits generally don't like other rabbits. I have enough trouble with my chickens picking on each other...I wouldn't want to deal with two biting/scratching mammals!
    Some people have said that they have gotten siblings (then spayed/neutered them) and that works to an extent but I'm worried about them fighting so I am only getting one [​IMG]

3. lyric

Jul 25, 2011
    Sunny FL
    Pehaps, then, I should stick with my original plan . . . angoras! We want to breed and I want to spin wool. Thanks Chickster J. Can't wait to see what you decide upon.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Some rabbits, when raised together, do get along with each other. Mine babies are 12 weeks old now and still hosed together with no issues. Also, you want to buy from a breeder that has a hands on attitude because it is illegal to sell bunnies before they are 8 weeks old. And if they are not handled, by that time it is pretty much too late to get them used to human interaction.

And they WILL play you like a fiddle too. I can be outside their enclosure and they clamour for my attention, but as soon as I go in, they play hide and seek. Until I catch them, then they are lovey dovey. Rabbits are VERY funny animals.

5. ChicksterJo

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    You too, lyric!
    I'll be sure to let you know what I get. It would be great to have a dedicated thread to the angoras; I find them so interesting.

6. lyric

Jul 25, 2011
    Sunny FL
    Quote:How cute. I can't wait to get some angoras, brush 'em, AND get to keep the wool gold in a bag until time to do my thing. Dyeing will be oh so fun, I just know it. My girls are in the North. I'm going to make everybody hat, scarf and mittens. With all the grannies I have, I say, "Bring it onnnn". Some angoras and alpacas, I'll have plenty of wool. Good thing I'm an under 52 granny. I'll have energy to do all this stuff. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. ChicksterJo

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    What color bunny are you thinking of getting?

I do like the black/gray look (it reminds me of a blue chicken, which is a color I love) but the white would be easy to dye. The problem is I don't really like the red eyes. A chestnut color would be great though.

I'm not even a granny or even a mother but I like to knit and crochet. I'm learning to make socks now (waiting for my special sock needles to get in the mail) for our future move to the North woods [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

Quote:I have a chestnut agouti available. She is really pretty too.

9. ChicksterJo

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I saw that [​IMG]
    I am tempted to get one now but I have to hold back and wait! [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

Quote:You know you want to....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by