Rabbit forum annoyance

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by IcarusSomnio, Sep 13, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    My $10 Dutch hurt his leg today. Possible sprain and/or mild dislocation at the ankle, no signs of pain or discomfort and he's putting some weight on it, not a lot, but a little in between. I asked for opinions as to if I should splint it or not on the rabbit forum when I at first thought it was dislocated or broken.

Answer?
    'Take him to a vet'

I am NOT taking a a $10 rabbit to the vet! The visit alone would run me $150-$250 not to mention the amount of gas it would take to drive to a different town to find a good small animal veterinarian, wait time, then x-rays. Thats just obscene! My 'most expensive rabbit I've ever bought' would REALLY be the most expensive rabbit I've ever bought!

It's like saying "Oh, you need your oil changed on your car do you? Well, either you can spend $1.50 and do it yourself, or you can take it to a mechanic and spend $150 and have them do it. It's a five minuet job and it'll be just as good afterwards."

I mean really now. If my dogs or my horses need to go to the vet, completely different story. Those are large, expensive, animals. This is a rabbit I don't really like all that much.

I could put the rabbit down, taxidermy it, sell it, then buy an identical rabbit and all I'd need is a new set of X-Acto blades since I have everything else. OR. I could spend a $1.50, buy a brand new roll of vet-wrap, and watch him for a week or two.

Or even better yet I could just use the brand-new roll of vet wrap sitting right next to me, un-do the temporary wrap, re-wrap it, and watch him for a week or two. I'd be out 5, maybe 10 minuets and the rabbit will be more comfortable and stress-free than if I where to drag it to some hour-away vet in a pet carrier.

Take him to the vet....sure I will...if you pay for it! [​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Just leave the leg alone. Chances are it will heal just fine. If it doesn't, eat the rabbit. That is what I would do.

3. Avla

Avla Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Why would you get an animal you don't like or won't take to the vet?

You could always just call your vet and ask what you should do or how much it would cost, he could have just pulled a muscle - just watch and see how it goes.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Have to second cassie.....[​IMG]

5. 2cool4you

2cool4you Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    Perhaps not get animals that you don't like or wish to make sure they have proper vet care would be a better solution. Letting an animal suffer because you don't want to pay a vet is cruel and inhumane.

6. ladycrotalus

ladycrotalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    An animal's cost does not denote its worth. When you take on the care of the animal, whether it be a .25 goldfish or 1000 dollar horse, you take on the responsibility of keeping them healthy and happy. Medical care is part of the package. Denying medical treatment is neglect and illegal. If you won't provide it then relinquish it to someone who will. Like an animal shelter or vet hospital.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If it were me I would just keep an eye on it, unless it were obviously causing a lot of pain, then you make the decision for vet care or culling. I'm not one to run to the vet either for every little thing BUT, when I do decide any animal on my place needs vet care I will pay for it. What I paid for the animal has no bearing on that. When I bring them home they become my responsibility and what I paid for them does not determine whether or not they should have medical care.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    If he's not showing signs of pain and discomfort and can use the leg with rest, then your solution should do just fine.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Well, I say leave the leg alone. Then put an ad on craigslist, try to rehome the bunny that you "don't really like that much" because the bunny deserves a home where it is loved

the remainder deleted because it is just not worth it

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by