Rabbit Greenhouse...?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TroyerGal, Nov 13, 2016.

1. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

So, I had this interesting idea after (well, i had it before, but it became a better idea after this happened) I lost some kits to frigid weather yesterday... I have a ND doe about halfway through her gestation period, and I hope to be breeding more soon. The only problem is... I have no $$$ to spend on more cages, tractors, etc... Then a thought came to me, what if i use a camper shell-enclosed truck bed to winter litters and grow them out in? I would do a layer of pine shavings, a little hiding area, and feeders and waterers. I am thinking of putting the buns in there as soon as they are furred out and bouncing around :) I am also going to use a heatlamp or space heater for supplemental heat if needed.

Is this a good idea? does anybody have any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. TroyerGal

[​IMG]
    Ginger approves ;)

[​IMG]
    As you can see... The truck bed is very well ventilated.

[​IMG]
    I put a layer of pine shavings in the bed... I'm thinking of adding straw too :)

1 person likes this.
  3. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    Truck beds can get WICKED HOT if it is warm outside. If you only want to use it in the winter, spring, and fall, i think it will work fine.

4. TroyerGal

Yeah, NO way am I using it in summer... I may not even kindle in summer :)

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    One thing to keep in mind that rabbits handle the cold a LOT better than they can the heat.

6. TroyerGal

Thanks Cassie! I am aware of that, and I plan on NOT doing it in the heat, I mainly wanted to do it because I'm cheap, and my family is REALLY paranoid about me losing any more bunnies/

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Cheap is good. This doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I have seen some really cool chicken coops made using camper shells. Trouble is, I can't remember where or when I saw them but they looked like a good and practical thing to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by