rabbit had babies but did not pull hair

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rock1038, Jan 28, 2014.

1. rock1038

rock1038 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2014
    aiken, sc
    I have a NZW this is the third litter she had the first one all 8 died the second 7 out of 8 lived. Now this is her third litter she gave birth this morning to 9 but in a few hours they was all cold and about to die. I warmed them up in the house but still lost 4 of them. But this whole time she has not pulled any hair from her neck and it is bulging with hair. We have her in the house in a smaller cage with them hopping she will feed them and keep them alive this time. any one have suggestions? any help would be nice.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If a doe goofs the first time she gets a reprieve. When she goofs the second time she becomes the main guest at dinner. ......

Unless of course she was bred before she matured.

3. rock1038

Jan 28, 2014
    aiken, sc
    her second litter is doing great they are 2 and 1/2 months old. but this third litter has us puzzled since she didnt pull hair but she had 9 this morning but down to 5 now. we have them warm now and of course we having an ice storm out side tonight too.

4. enola

Sorry, I misread the numbers....... but, I would think twice before breeding her again.

5. rock1038

Jan 28, 2014
    aiken, sc
    we just lost another baby, how do you have your does and babies? inside or outside? is there any way you can give us more suggestions and help.

6. enola

I am sorry this is so stressing on you......

I think you have probably stressed your doe by moving her inside your house. she may not be making milk. Do the babies appear to have full bellies?

7. rock1038

Jan 28, 2014
    aiken, sc
    around 3pm today I put them back in the box with her out side for about 30 min and they did have full bellies then but they was cold again. that is when we decided to bring her and the kit's in side. we put a heat source under the babies now, 2 seems to be nice and warm but the other 2 sort of cold. we are hoping that the momma will start feeding them and still be alive in the morning. In there house outside we only have hay but like I said she never pulled hair so they could not stay warm. i tried to use cotton to keep them warm but the doe wanted to eat the cotton.

8. enola

I should have told you to pull her fur yourself. Have some one hold her by her neck scruff with one hand and the other hand on the skin over hips. Just pull out a pinch st a time. The babies can't stay warm with out her fluff. Someone holding her will keep her from tearing you up with her hind feet. Pulling her fur will not be painful.

9. rock1038

Jan 28, 2014
    aiken, sc
    Well this may sound funny but instead of getting my butt whooped by her I used a cat brush to pull the hair out. i think she really enjoyed being brushed too. I got several hand full of hair out of her and put it on the 3 left now. So hopfully we saved these 3 with the fluff. will know in the morning. Thanks

10. enola

Hey! Good idea. Fingers crossed it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by