Rabbit help needed ASAP...... Update 1/27

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Barnyard, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I am not sure if anybody on here can help me but I figured it was worth a shot.

My dd has a pet rabbit named Stitch. He was fine up untile yesterday afternoon. We noticed that he was holding his head to the side. When he walked he would hold that head to the side also. If I tried to lay him on the other side he would flip over to the side that his head leans to. It is almost like in his head he is spinning. He made it through the night but I am not sure what to do for him. I called my vet and they do not see rabbits, but she said that she may be able to give me antibiotics to try. She is going to speak with the other dr. I am wondering if he has a ear infection and this is the problem. What type of antibiotics can I use on a rabbit? Any help wiil be great!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Poor Stitch!
    I don't know much about rabbits. Sure hope someone comes along soon that can help!!!

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
  4. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Thanks Lori and Miss Jayne..... I don't know much about them either other than what to feed them and how to house them., the basic's. I know shame on me. I guess I will be doing a lote of research on rabbits.

ETA: If I could spell it may help./

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  5. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Had a hen do this...she suffered from a stroke....not sure if it's the same for bunnies. Praying for her, though! [​IMG]

6. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Yikes! A stroke? Whoa.

Can you see into the bunny's ears? DO they look okay? Does Stitch flinch when you try? That would help narrow down the ear infection idea.

I know cats that have ear mites for too long show the symptoms your bunny does. By that time they're fatal, though. A friend's cat went through it once and it was awful (it was a rescue and came to him badly damaged).

7. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    My guinea pig died due to stroke. He had the same symptoms...
    Hope your rabbit pulls trough !

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  8. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    I am not sure what is wrong with your bunny. I pray that stitch pulls threw. In my experenice with rabbits when they start to show signs of trama they need to see a vet asap. If they don't they usually die in a couple of days. I sure hope stitch pulls threw and it isn't serious.

9. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Yeah I was kinda thinking stroke to. He does flinch when I mess with his ears, but they look ok from what I can see. I am going to get some meds from the vet rightnow. I don't know what to do for the poor baby and my dd is to pieces. Thanks everybody for the help so far....[​IMG]

10. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] Please let it NOT be a stroke!! [​IMG]

Are bunnies prone to strokes? Our bunbun, Harley, died very quickly & mysteriously a few years ago. No symptoms at all, just fine one morning & gone when I got home from work. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by