rabbit houseing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Animallover606, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    does anybody have an idiea for a new rabbit houseing we have a little one and were getting more rabbits my kids just need space for all sizes of rabbits please
    does anybody have pics or plans?
    everything will be apreceated
    thanks

please post peoples

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    The rabbit housing that is suitable depends on your goals. Are you raising meat rabbits or keeping a couple for pets? Are you expecting to make the bunnies housepets or are they livestock? You say all different sizes but do you mean different sized breeds from the minis up to the giant breeds, each which has different space requirements? What is your climate like? Rabbits in hot, southern areas require different care than rabbits here in Maine.

Pictures of other people's rabbitries won't help much if their goals, breeds and locations are different than yours.

A basic book on rabbit raising will cover all the essential requirements for housing.

Wayne

3. Animallover606

Apr 12, 2008
    thanks were in cold and hot weather and have big and small and they also have pet rabbits meat rabbits show rabbits and fur rabbits sum it up for you?
    We like looking at peoples ideas so we can get ideas from them
    thank you for our information

4. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Maybe the best thing to do is to read some of the information at the American Rabbit Breeder Association website and decide what type of housing is suitable to successfully raise your bunnies.

As they say there: "Rule of thumb is that minimum pen space provided should be about 3/4 of a square foot per pound of mature weight." Only you know the breed and sizes of your rabbits so plan accordingly.

A good rabbit raising book will tell you to keep them out of drafts in the winter and that rabbits will do well in cold weather but can die if it's too hot. Only you know if you live in the south or not, so you will have to plan accordingly.

Wayne

5. Animallover606

Apr 12, 2008
    [​IMG] thank you so much for that page on the rabbits it was very helpful thanks once again and how big should the cage be if you have a flemish giant becuase were thinking of adding to our rabbits and we think a flemish giant would be good for us. thanks again animallover606

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  6. farmgirl987

farmgirl987 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    [​IMG]

7. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    flemish should be house in pens on the ground or in cages with wooden slat floors spaced 1/4" apart because of their weight. wire floor cages can cause "sore hocks"(wears the fur off the feet & causes red,raw sores on their feet). if absolutely have to build wire floor cages you can cut pieces of sheet rock to lay on top of the wire floor big enough for the rabbit to lay on. go to lowes,home depot,ect.ask if the have a sheet that is crack or corner broke or what ever & buy that one. usually can get them for about $1. hope this helps.

8. farmgirl987

farmgirl987 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    that is great information thank you kick'n chick'n

9. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    were having a shed built this year for our meat rabbits its going to be for our new zealand white rabbits. Just rember if you do a shed make sure to have vents on the bottom. And air flow in the summer so some windows and fans

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by