Rabbit Housing Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BarbK, Nov 20, 2009.

1. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I am going to be building a barn in the spring and I had a question. How many rabbits could I keep together in a 12x12 stall. I am thinking of taking two stalls and puting does in one and the bucks and kindling area in another. If I do this I will also build up ramps and hides for them.
    I was thinking of this because the girls enjoy being to gether out of the cages. They run and play and when done will groom and lay next to each other.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    You need to kep them caged, or you will end up with nothing but a mess. i have no idea about 12x12. I would say noth very many cages. my guess would be about ten? my barn is 12x24. I have about 30 holes in it plus pigeon cages.

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Although I keep mine caged, that is not the only way. Google rabbit colonies. It can be done, but as to how, IDK for sure. I do know that the animal farm we visit have colonized rabbits, producing litters and everything. I think google would be your best friend on this subject, as most of us keep our rabbits in cages.

4. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Quote:If you do a rabbit colony, then you need a bit more experience with them. A 12x12 setup is not a good idea for a rabbit colony. You can't house bucks together like that because they will fight and even try to kill each other. If the animals are going to be kept in a small space like that in a barn, then they need to be caged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by