Rabbit Hutch Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sswanso5, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Sswanso5

Sswanso5 Hatching

Dec 1, 2019
    Hello all!
    I’m brand new to chickens and I am getting my first flock this spring. I was thinking of converting an old rabbit hutch into a new chicken coop. However I am trying to think what would be the best configuration. I would definitely make it all enclosed for warmth in the winter. However I am debating whether make the roosting part on top or the nesting boxes up top. I already have a system devised for a cleaning, using a false floor with a slanted metal piece underneath to a small door in the back. I can add onto the rabbit hutch however I am trying to be a frugal.

2. BallyFarm

BallyFarm Chirping

Nov 28, 2019
    PA
    Is it possible to show a pic? How many chickens do you plan on getting? Sometimes rabbit hutches can be too small for more then four chickens, and are you going to allow them a chicken run? Or will they be cooped up all day? Pun intended!

3. I think any rabbit hutch will likely be to small for permanent chicken housing.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  4. Hi, and welcome to BYC!
    if you could post a picture of this rabbit hutch you speek of, that would be more helpful to us.
    when i think of a rabbit hutch i am envisioning something way to small to be a permanent situation for 4 chickens.
    since your birds are not expected until spring, we have plenty of time to figure out the coop.
    thanks for joining us!

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome!
    If you add your approximate location on your profile, it helps a lot here. What's best for Florida or Arizona will be not so good for Montana!
    Pictures of your existing hutch, with dimensions, will help too.
    Most of use are happiest with a walk-in shed types structure, not something short and small. A Woods coop is the best, especially if you get hooked on having chickens, and can legally have more than four or six.
    I envision a rabbit hutch as being very small and short, not chicken friendly.
    Mary

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Curious to see what this is exactly.

Ditto Dat^^^

Welcome to BYC! @Sswanso5
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-12-2_8-31-6.png

7. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Good morning and welcome to the BYC flock!!! I agree with a rabbit hutch probably being way to small. I purchased an actual prefab chicken coop, and like a lot on here quickly found out how tiny they were. Rabbit hutches are even smaller and not designed for chickens, could make a good brooder though. Best of luck.

8. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Free Ranging

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    Welcome to BYC!

Don’t be discouraged - there are many ways to make use of the materials you have and materials you can scrounge to make things work frugally. Browse through the coop threads here and the coop sections in “articles.”

I confess, though, that most of us put more money into the operation than we thought we would! But whatever you do, don’t get more chickens than you can house. 4 sq ft per bird is considered a minimum, and I will attest that the minimum does not seem like enough! My girls have close to 5 sq ft per bird, and I think it’s clearly not enough. Next coop will be very roomy!

aart likes this.
  9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I think that would be the best re-use of a rabbit hutch. They're generally a good size to brood a small batch of chicks in, and could also be used as an isolation ward for sick or injured birds.

10. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Sorry if it keeps liking and unliking my phone keeps glitching on this site lol. Didn't think about using for injured or insulation birds, great idea!

trumpeting_angel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: