1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rabbit Hutch Issues

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by m.kitchengirl, Nov 25, 2011.

1. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I purchased a Maine Cage Company hutch 2 weeks ago.
    Actually, the M.O.T.H. did, but ...

It has served me well for two weeks, but we had our first snow measurable snow the other day (about a foot) and when I went out in the morning my English Angora was soaked through & quite cold.
    I have kept him inside since (may have been looking for an excuse anyway...), but I am not sure what to do now.
    There was really no snow in the hutch, and the roof & sides didn't seem to have moisture built up.

I wondered what I could do to keep the cage drier for him, or if any of you had experience with these cages.
    At this point I just want to sell the darn thing & get a nice indoor house for him.

2. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Not familiar with your hutch but here are some ideas. I use hutches for some of my SErama.

Place hutch under a covering such as carport, shed roof, inside a barn with the back against a wall if possible.

Face the largest opening AWAy from the primary wind direction.

Wrap three sides with plastic or tarp. Or cover entire hutch with tarp leaving area to access the door but that will cover door when weather is bad.

Cover exisitng roof with plywood that is 6-12" larger on all sides than the existing roof, this will help keep the rain from leaking/blowing in.

If there is an enclosed area, put straw in it. If there is not an enclosed area, make on or provide the rabbit with a wooden box with small opening with straw in it.

Good luck and keep that bunny dry!

3. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks for your advice.
    Unfortunately, I have done most of those things.
    I have the hutch wrapped and covered already.
    He has TONS of straw, and the front of the hutch faces into an area surrounded by big bushes and I put my tent rain fly over the opening during the storm. It is very water tight but still lets some light in, so I like to use it.
    I thought maybe there was a build up of moisture inside, on the roof and walls, but it didn't seem to have built up (unless he's absorbed it all...?).
    Its a mystery to me.

I guess I will try to build a roof over the roof and under the lean-to next, but he is LOVING being indoors and is making good friends with my cat, so he may have just move in.

4. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    I have a couple of inside rabbits. They live in a dog exercise pen which is 4'x 4' with litter box and wooden box for snuggling and flannel blankets. I dont' think these two would like it outside at all.
    They are in my small animal room, so the DOGS do NOT go in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by