Rabbit Hutch Requirements for Californian and New Zealands

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kuntrygirl, Aug 4, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    What would you say would be a "comfortable" size for a rabbit hutch for New Zelands and Californian rabbits? Each, of course, will have their own pen/area. Just want to make sure they have more than enough move around.

What are the measurements of some of your rabbit hutches?

Thanks

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We breed french angoras, who weigh up to 10.5 lbs, however their wool makes them require more room. We have one hutch that is 36 x24, and two other two story condos that are 36 x 36 on each floor, with a step down shelf in between floors.

[​IMG]

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Hey, I raise NZ & Cals. [​IMG] 36x30 is suggested as a minimum size starting point, although my 30" deep cages do make it hard to reach into the corners.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Thanks for the pic and suggestions you all.

5. debilorrah

Quote:Tell me about it!!!! These two story condos make it hard to retrieve a kit. The adults are fine, but the babies WOW!

6. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Yep, lol...sometimes I have to use a piece of cardboard as an arm extension to gently herd any corner kits out into open range. [​IMG]

7. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    ...[​IMG] or these things might have finally found a purpose and come in handy (pun intended).....

[​IMG]

8. debilorrah

Quote:PERFECT size for scooping up kits!!!! What a great idea. I always wind up pushing them over the edge (there is a ledge there) so I can reach them from the bottom.

9. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I've seriously considered using those, and other things...I once did use a soft wicker basket as a corner scoop...anything surely beats wire grid marks and fish face from pushing up against the cages to get that extra 1" of reach.

Kuntrygirl, 24" is much more of comfy reach. If the cage is made wider, it makes up for the more narrow depth. I also make banks of cages that work really well and it's easy to adjust individual hold sizes in the bank as desired when they're being built.

10. debilorrah

Quote:I needed that information BEFORE Ken built the condos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by