Rabbit info

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Been thinking a lot about making a cat enclosure for my cat but then I was thinking I may make it a rabbit thing instead or use our dog kennel for rabbits once the chickens get a new coop and run. Might not happen but definitely considering rabbits. I used to have an indoor one but I was young and didn't really take care of him very well. I figure an outdoor rabbit would maybe be easier/parents more willing and now that I've been taking care of the chickens, I don't think adding rabbits would be much extra work.

Soooo...

I've done research but I guess I'm just sort of wondering some things.

What are the minimum space requirements? Similar to chickens? I know a lot of people just keep them in hutches or wire cages but I also know house rabbits are usually in x pens, a whole room, or free in the house, etc. etc. So if I can, I'd like to try to give them space to do natural bunny things.

Do they smell? My last bunny did but maybe that was cause I didn't clean it much and was just the pet store "rabbit cage"??

Do they just eat hay and pellets or? Some veggies?

Can males be put together? I have read that rabbits are very social and need friends and that neutered male and spayed female get along best but idk if I can neuter or spay them. Even if I wanted to idk of an exotic vet/if parents would let me or how expensive it is??

Speaking of which, do rabbits need shots?

Can they survive the cold fine or do they need to come inside at some point?

Anybody raise meat rabbits? Best kinds? If I got rabbits I honestly think they would just be outdoor pets and I would not have the heart to kill them, especially something so cute and fuzzy, so I'm really not even sure why I'm asking this but I just figured since I have the thread I would since maybe one day when I am older or have a bigger place I would have the heart. Plus maybe I could have someone do it or buy meat and just keep pet ones.

TIA

Minimum space I'd say is 24x24" cage space.
You can let them out to play, but 24x24 should be fine.
We feed ours 1/2 cup of rabbit pellets per day and give them hay. We don't feed veggies, some of them are really bad for them and full of sugar which can kill over your bunny.
Rabbits don't really need shots, unless you have a sick one.
Our bunnies stay outside year round. Winter is fine as long as they have a shelter from the rain, snow, wind etc. Just be sure to keep them fresh water. Summer is actually harder on them than winter. Rabbits have a hard time in heat, but do relatively well in cold. In summer we also put frozen water bottles in their cages for them to lay on and play with.
I wouldn't recommend keeping males together or females for that matter. They will fight when they get mature.
As far as smells, I think they stink. Mine stay outside. Bucks are especially stinky and they can and will spray.
Hope this helps some.

Been thinking a lot about making a cat enclosure for my cat but then I was thinking I may make it a rabbit thing instead or use our dog kennel for rabbits once the chickens get a new coop and run. Might not happen but definitely considering rabbits. I used to have an indoor one but I was young and didn't really take care of him very well. I figure an outdoor rabbit would maybe be easier/parents more willing and now that I've been taking care of the chickens, I don't think adding rabbits would be much extra work.

Soooo...

I've done research but I guess I'm just sort of wondering some things.
Bare minimum is enough for the rabbit to stretch at full length plus a hop or two, more is better. The more space they have the healthier they will be.
What are the minimum space requirements? Similar to chickens? I know a lot of people just keep them in hutches or wire cages but I also know house rabbits are usually in x pens, a whole room, or free in the house, etc. etc. So if I can, I'd like to try to give them space to do natural bunny things.
If they are properly taken care of, no, they will not smell. The exeption is unfixed bucks. They will spray EVERYWHERE.
Do they smell? My last bunny did but maybe that was cause I didn't clean it much and was just the pet store "rabbit cage"??
Hay and greens are the most important part. A general rule of thumb is unlimited hay and half a cup of veggies per day, but each rabbit is a little different.
Do they just eat hay and pellets or? Some veggies?
Yes, but fixed is ideal.... Otherwise they will hump each other constantly. Neutered is always best, if you adopt from a shelter they come fixed and they have a low adoption fee if you fint the right group. Costs range from 300$ to 100$ for a female, I am not sure about males as I own female rabbits.
Can males be put together? I have read that rabbits are very social and need friends and that neutered male and spayed female get along best but idk if I can neuter or spay them. Even if I wanted to idk of an exotic vet/if parents would let me or how expensive it is??
Some take their rabbits to the vet and get shots, but I have never done so and my rabbits have always been healthy
Speaking of which, do rabbits need shots?
Depends where you live. Constant in and out is bad because they won't grow the right length coat for their weather. They will survive, but IMHO they won't be as happy being outside. There are many opinions on this.
Can they survive the cold fine or do they need to come inside at some point?
Nope, I keep house rabbits.
Anybody raise meat rabbits? Best kinds? If I got rabbits I honestly think they would just be outdoor pets and I would not have the heart to kill them, especially something so cute and fuzzy, so I'm really not even sure why I'm asking this but I just figured since I have the thread I would since maybe one day when I am older or have a bigger place I would have the heart. Plus maybe I could have someone do it or buy meat and just keep pet ones.

TIA

Hope this helps, good luck!
-Banti

Oh, a note, there are many different ways of keeping rabbits, but personally I would suggest keeping your rabbit indoors. I enjoyed my rabbits much more when I moved them inside, and they were much healthier.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the great info!! I'll have to maybe look into getting fixed ones then. Will definitely need to consider bringing them indoors too, though not sure if that's possible, especially if they do smell. But if they don't then maybe I could. But I don't know if my parents would allow it and even if they did, we have a big dog so it'd be kinda dangerous :( but maybe they could be in the garage or something instead of outside outside. I'll have to figure something out :)

This info is definitely all very helpful so that you both!! :)

Oh and for the meat thing, yeah, i don't think I'd have the heart to do it after all :( they're just so CUTE. Especially babies. I don't think I could even manage chickens ahah

I think I'll just keep them as pets maybe

Thank you both for the great info!! I'll have to maybe look into getting fixed ones then.
You are welcome! My current rabbit is not fixed, but that is only because of the high risk that the only place that will do females around here has.
Will definitely need to consider bringing them indoors too, though not sure if that's possible, especially if they do smell. But if they don't then maybe I could.
Good. If you change their litter box often, (and the rabbit is not a unfixed male) they do not smell. I have had rabbits in the house for 4-5 years now without issues.

But I don't know if my parents would allow it and even if they did, we have a big dog so it'd be kinda dangerous :(
I have a dog in the house, so I keep my rabbit in a cage. Living world X-large (look on amazon) is a very good brand with large measurments and is VERY secure. I have one for my guinea pigs and rabbit and would highly recommend it.
but maybe they could be in the garage or something instead of outside outside. I'll have to figure something out :)
This info is definitely all very helpful so that you both!! :)
Oh and for the meat thing, yeah, i don't think I'd have the heart to do it after all :( they're just so CUTE. Especially babies. I don't think I could even manage chickens ahah

I think I'll just keep them as pets maybe

Sounds good to me! :D
-Banti

Sounds good to me! :D
-Banti

Thanks for all the help!! I'll look into all that! My thing though is even if the cage is large I want it to have an exercise are and stuff too or take it out sometimes but I guess I could always lock the dog up. There's not really a good spot though either but I'll find one. Or maybe look into guinea pigs.

And thanks!

Back
Top Bottom