Rabbit lovers Advice?

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
We have 3 calico rabbits, they all are 8 months old, got them at the same time but they have all different parents. Anyways about 6 months ago we found out Sparkles is actually a Mr. Sparkles!

Hubby built them a 3 cage hutch that also allows each to have there own run under there cages. Well some how, I guess I am still not sure what happened, our male and female were in the same run! Fast forward now she has been grunting and will almost nip me everytime I see her, she has been ripping out fur and making nests all over her cage!

I guess what I am asking is I know about false pregnancy, but will a rabbit that is having a false pregnancy still rip the fur out? What was your experience?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Why do you thinks it's a FALSE pregnancy? Are all your rabbits spayed or neutered? If not, well......

But yes, does have false pregnancies occasionally. Carry hay, pull fur, all the traits of being pregnant.

Because she would be overdue as of 2 days ago, its been 34 days since the 2 rabbits were together.

And please I don't need people to get all ticked and tell me I need to spay or neuter my rabbits. The breeder I bought the rabbits from ensured me they were all female! He was wrong, and that's fine, boy or girls I love all my rabbits....They have all been kept seperate, just a malfunction with or hutch!

Now I am asking out of this post how common it is for a female rabbit to have false pregnancy, and your own experiences with it were?

Oh, I'm the last one to get ticked - I raise rabbits for a living!

But 34 days is NO big deal - I'd bet ANYTHING she's gonna have a litter. I am definitely speaking from experience here - I have anywhere from 300-500 rabbits all the time.

PM me if you need help about a nestbox, etc.

She is probably pregnant and you should see kits soon. Females will occasionally have false pregnancies and they act just like they are ready to give birth, but in your case I would say that she is probably most likely really pregnant.

I have had a rabbit kindle at day 36 so get ready for babies! Make sure she has a nest box just in case. If it is a false pregnancy they will usually start pulling fur and nest about 2 weeks after breeding.....that has been my experience. Good luck and keep us updated!

ok cant beet holdinggolds advice sense they raise them. but to answer ur ? yes rabbits do pull their fur out when their not really pregnant ive heard its called a ghost litter. i have a female rabbit and she done this a few days ago and done quite a bit of research on it. but she has now stopped so i guess it has passed.

Hehehehe. She is gonna kindle any minute now. Rabbits can be overdue just like any other mammal. Rabbit people are NOT gonna tell you to neuter the thing either. If you can even find a vet that will do it, what good does it really do? Rabbits are solitary animals anyways, so what's the point, besides wasting money.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Pretty much, rabbit people answer rabbit posts. Unless we post pics, then everyone comes to oooh and awwww.

it literally takes 5 seconds to end up with a pregnant bunny. My co-worker gave me a bunny that someone had dumped on her. DH picked it up on his way home from work; I came home about 20 mins later to find out that he had just put the new bunny in the hutch.

Yup, he was a boy. Twilight was a girl. We had 8 baby bunnies born on my birthday.

Back
Top Bottom